Home

Questions and Observations about 1.03 - No rants please

Sai-Kahn

My first question is about heavy stance - we know that it now slows down you movement during a swing , the swings themselves take a fraction longer and apparently do less damage. But does heavy stance retains it previous ability of paypassing blocks made in light, and some blocks made in medium stance?

I don't want to get into the whole "patch 1.03 sux" debate. Its been going on ad naseum for far too long. All i can say is, its here - deal with it.

A couple of thing's I have noticed are:

a) Saber locking is much more common. I'm reasonably experienced at the game, but pre-patch the number of times I locked sabres in MP I could count on one hand. The last time i duelled with 1.03 i locked sabres about 5-6 times in a single round. Considering that some people consider employing a auto-win function in sabre locks to *not* be a form of cheating, i find this new feature disturbing. Thoughts on this?

b) Another aspect that has changed is that heal is no longer a adequate counter for lightning. Whilst absorb may have been the (ahem) "ultimate" counter, heal would work fine in a number of situations. I don't think the same can be said now.

Can anyone give me straight numerical answer on which skill therefore gives me more hp back for my force-mana in 1.03?

Drain (which I've never used)?

Heal (25 hp at lvl 3 for a half bar)?

Last nite was the first time I actually played with the new patch, and after reading about it, I thought I was not going to like it. I actually think they did a good job with it. (With the exception of Heal - I think they went too far with how much force power it takes and how little health it gives ya)

I'm a light Jedi, and while I do use heal, I would never consider myself a heal whore. I would use it, but not abuse it. (if that makes any sense whats so ever)

As for the saber locks, I haven't really dueled much yet, but even pre-patch, I used to lock all the time. Maybe not as much as you're talking about with the patch, but I've locked three or four times in one duel before. So I can't really comment on that just yet. :)

Roach

Originally posted by Sai-Kahn

a) Saber locking is much more common. I'm reasonably experienced at the game, but pre-patch the number of times I locked sabres in MP I could count on one hand. The last time i duelled with 1.03 i locked sabres about 5-6 times in a single round. Considering that some people consider employing a auto-win function in sabre locks to *not* be a form of cheating, i find this new feature disturbing. Thoughts on this?

Here is the reason why scripting this would not be smart:

during a saberlock if you use force push, you will win the saberlock more easily then someone who is not. Now for the counters:

Win the Duel

a) someone is using script to simply attack a bunch of times without force push, then i can use force push and my attack button to win, no matter how quickly it is doing the attack button.

Tie the Duel

b) someone smarter has force push with attack scripted... I use attack and force push but only once so that I do not drain all my force energy. someone that has it scripted more then likely will use all thier force energy, so I make sure I just tie (no script can estimate how to do that for you) after we get knock apart I force pull them, knocking them to the ground and then a nice backstab kills them

you could NOT push the key for your force push during your attack script because it will not execute that command until your script is complete. Now you could rewrite your script to just attack twice and then stop, but if you really think about this then eventually its no better then mashing your attack button on your mouse. trust me I know what im talking about and would take anyone on using a script and equal or beat them everytime.

but, here is the other thing.. If you think someone is using a script like this, just loose on purpose and they it will throw thier whole timing off. see the thing about scripting is that if you depress a key for a script it will execute that script many times and that person will still be attacking while you are laying on your back after losing so youll be able to backkick them easily. scripts are good for say changing stances quickly or doing a complex set of moves... like in TeamFortress when you had the spy you would want a script to cycle through each of the players he could change into... if you had to go and press 1 then 3 then 4 to change to the pyro for instance, then there would be no chance of doing that while running from someone, but the way jk2 is setup, there is very little need to script anything. if there is a mod then it might come in handy.... boy would I love the grappling hook for when your thown off a walkway. One that worked on real physics so that you would swing when it latched onto something or could push someone and make them swing away from you. anyway... back to scripting, my point here is that in no way could any script that you write for jk2 be considered cheating unless it is a bug in the game. Its like fighting a bot. It doesnt learn, so you will eventually beat it everytime and be able to reconize those that are using them.

Archived