Home

Raven should have put out a JK2 MP test

Hemi-Cuda

just like they've done with SOF2. Q3 and wolfenstein also had MP tests way before the game was released. there are only benefits to be had by releasing an MP test before release, such as getting an established player base before the game even hits shelves. but most importantly it gives the game company feedback on whats good and not good about the gameplay. that way they can tweak it while its still in development, and NOT after the game is already released (such as with JK2)

i believe if raven would have been smart enough to release a test, no one here would be bitching about any patch. the changes would have occured within the test (where people expect them anyways) and the final version would be much more balanced and bug free

just look at wolfenstein. it went through quite a few changes while it was still in a test phase. and now that its out, there hasn't been any radical changes to gameplay or balance from patches. too bad JK2 didn't follow suit :(

well, i maybe would've been better if raven had made an open beta test, but cases such as half-life prove that it's not necessary to do such a beta test in order to bring a good game on the market.

also, i dunno if it would've been better to do such an open beta test, it all depends on the developers as well as the type of game. when making a star wars game, its natural that only sw fans should test the game, and all sw have surely complete imaginations on how to make such a game.

I doubt that an open beta test would have done anything accept have the final release of the game be setup like the 1.03 patch is now.

so far the only change in the patch I've seen that wasn't specifically asked for by one group or another was the increased ammo consumption for the guns.

other balancing issues were asked for there instead, but Raven for some reason went for that instead.... once more user made maps are released post-patch, I'm sure mappers will start compensating for that by adding more ammo.

but the nerfs on drain, grip, heavy stance, heal, and the balancing of the three stances were practically screamed for every day for a month before the patch was released with those changes.

some people didn't want the changes, but alot did, and so the patch was released with those changes. Another thing to remember is that while alot of posts were made here on the forums, Raven also recieved enormous amounts of email regarding complaints/ideas that probably never saw the light of day on these open forums, so we have no way of knowing exactly what those emails were asking for, and how they might have influenced any changes made in the patch.

the short version of that is, this last month WAS the public beta test, and the patch is the newest release to fix the issues that people had with the game.

the purple one

I stand corrected Aiee, you are absolutely correct...

so every change made in the patch was directly requested by the community on these forums for all to see and debate, which only further backs up my statement that this technically was an open beta test, and that the patch is the solution that would have been instituted as the fixes for that test.

the purple one

Archived