Home

Any possibility of a Linux port???

JaseP

I know this game has a Linux dedicated server, but is there any possibility of a Linux port in the future? Many Quake 3 based games have Linux ports, and it would be good to get one for JK2. Linux usually boats higher frame rates for similar hardware, and tends to be more stable. More and more people are switching to Linux for their desktop needs,... especially with the "spyware" that Microshaft has put into its latest incarnation of their OS software, Windoze XPee. A Linux port also puts you one step closer to a PS2 port as the PS2 uses a linux architecture for its core OS, if I'm not mistaken (Sony is putting out a Linux kit for the PS2, which allows PS2 users to use their machine as a Linux computer).

I would tie up my telephone line for a week just to get a Linux point release for this game. It runs slow as hell in Windoze. I would probably buy the game again if I had to, just to get a Linux client.

No need to buy a new one. The version you have will run perfect on linux.

"I have not had Windoze installed in months. I may never have to again if things keep going this way. Installing Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast on Linux was ridiculously easy. I'm using TransGaming's (http://www.transgaming.com) WineX as my "emeulation" layer (Wine Is Not an Emulator - but I'm using that for lack of a better word). Currently, I'm running their 6 Apr 2002 CVS snapshot. This snapshot has successfully run (for more than 2 hours a piece) Diablo II, Balder's Gate, Jedi Knight: MoS, and Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (JK2 for more than 6 hrs straight).

JK2 is running very stable and very fast. I had X lock up on me once, but that was more my own fault than wine's (I was screwing around). Since it was X and not the kernel, a quick ctrl-alt-F2, a kill command, and a rerun of startx and I was back in bidness."

Running Jedi Knight using WineX was one of the reasons I bought it. That isn't the issue. The issue is having the code run native and therfore having some of the advantages of Linux gaming, including the ability to update to the patches when they come out (which is apparently a problem for some people). There is nothing to prevent them from taking Jedi Knight 2 to a new incarnation that doesn't like WineX so much...

Plus, it will help developers to understand that many gamers prefer Linux to Windoze.

Linux is better than Windoze at handling memory and disk access. OpenGL is better than DirectX at handling graphics.

Archived