Home

Ack, what am I doing wrong? REALLY need help

SaberDroid

Ok, I'm just trying to modify the saber blade for MP use. I extracted orange_line and orange_blur2 from the gfx/effects/saber folder in assets0.pk3 (I figured I wouldn't need the orange saber), modified it to what i wanted it to look like, then make a new pk3 with the new orange saber files (same filenames), making sure to use subdirectories and adding wildcard and all of that, and put this pk3 file into my base folder. It's not working for anything, and i cannot figure out why. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

i know this problem, it has to do with .jpg compression. when you save to often in .jpg format the file-size becomes too small and the program doesn't recognize the texture no more.

i suggest for future works you save your textures as .bmp or .tga first and when you finished the texture save as a .jpg with a compression of 90%.

as a solution for your textures right now: rename it to any name, the unzip the original game file again. now open both, copy and paste your texture to the original and save once. put it into your .pk3 and it should work.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's compression, whatever it was i set it to the same as the other files...but then again, I don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm a little confused on your instructions..rename my saber (compressed now) and put it into my pk3, or actually put my saber into assets0.pk3?

Either way, thanks a lot for answering.

shameless bump

in trying to find the answer to my problem, I came across the same thing over and over again; questions on how to customize MP sabers. I was thinking that someone (probably me, although I'm not sure I'm the best at it) could write a general tutorial on it...yeah I know, it's a real newbie thing, and coming from someone who's had 2 posts on this msgboard it doesn't sound very appealing, but I figure why not help all the other beginning skinners out? anyway, If you have any suggestions or tips or anything for a saber skinning tutorial please feel free to post here.

Having said all of that, back to trying to figure out why my first saber won't work...

Step 1: Make your mod.

Step 2: Look at where all the files your mod uses are. By this i mean which folders under the Gamedata/Base folder.

Step 3: In your root C:/ directory, or whatever letter you have named for your primary hard drive, make folders like the ones you have in your base folder.

EXAMPLE: If all you were submitting was a map, and you chose to not include bot support, a levelshot, or a .arena file (for one thing, your map would not work), you would simply make a folder under C:/ called "maps". So the folder would be C:/maps.

Step 4: Open winzip and start a new archive. In the "add" dialogue, check the box that says save full path info.

Step 5: Locate your map in the C:/maps folder and add it.

Step 6: Exit winzip and rename your xxxx.zip file to xxxx.pk3. Now, when you move the pk3 to your base folder, your map will be considered to be in your maps folder (which is, in reality, within the assets0.pk3 file).

This works for all mod files, models, maps, sabers, shaders, textures, .arena, etc.

-JumboMonkeyfish

Archived