Home

Petition for Block Button Instead of Autoblock

ThingAhMajig

Who else things autoblock should be removed?

I think a lot of problems would be solved if a BLOCK button is added.

Unskilled players would die rather quickly... and no more miraculous blocks from all angles...

Looks like there is a lot of complaints about this, so Im raising the issue.

I don't know about a block button, but I would like a button that checks or captures an opponents blade with your blade. Kinda like in fencing when you do a pris de fer. Or to make beat attacks more consistant so that you can create an opening that way as well.

While it would make sense to make blocking a little more...sensible by doing things like decreasing the blocking radius and whatnot...a block button seems useless to me. When I played originally I just blocked by not being where the saber was. People who advocate a blocking button would probably never actually use it, because it's much easier to backpedal and avoid slashes...

What's more there are already a host of hotkeys you need at your fingertips to play this well...a blocking bind would almost certainly have to wind up on the mouse to make it really effective. I'm not sure that it is the solution to the problem you have. I think a reduction in the amount of blocking or saber collisions would make sense though.

Correct me if I'm wrong: but the Jedi cannot block if he's in the middle of swinging or throwing his weapon. I often throw my Sabre at Jedi, and sometimes fire a weapon, but not if they're in a ready stance and even facing me, because I know they will block it. But if I see them start to swing, especially in the strong combat style, if your aim is true, it won't be blocked. I see no need for a block button. One need only learn when the Jedi will be hard pressed (or actually in the game, unable) to block, and pick those times to use your ranged attacks.

Yes, you read my mind, remove saberthrow, and replace it with a block button.

It's funny, but that wasn't what I was thinking when I wrote my post, but after I reread it I was thinking 'that could actually work--Saber Throw is pointless and annoying anyway lol

:p

seriously how many times have you seen someone throw thier saber in the movies ????

I was fine with it back in the day, when I was safe from it in my high tower of NF Dueling, but now even that has come under seige from the Saber Throwers.

Fight back!! Reclaim the night!!!

*looks around, confused*

Oops...wrong place...

Actually, I think this should have been the opening post.

Looking over all the posts we have two issues:

1) People complain about SPAM moves... First it was DFA, now backstab.

2) Complaints about NOOBs (no skillz etc...) AKA HEADLESS CHICKENS. (They are just annoying, but yes blocks from whatever angles you attack them from)

outside of force powers... these are the major issues. The building blocks for all other issues are derived from.

How can we address them?

The solution should be simple to implement.

Remove frustration or massive exploitation of a single move. (Which I think this was the major point Raven was going for... all other game balances are beside the point)

Add a Key element... Unpredictability. With unpredictability, there is no one key effective move... No one SINGLE shot solution for killing that every single player can execute so easily. With unpredictability, playing styles will be varied and diverse.

Is the solution nerfing some moves? Then what would be the next move to go? WHEN backstab is nerfed, ppl will move to light stance lunge... try to back into corners and spam this move away... not as affective then a DFA or backstab, but it works... Or one better... push/pull heavy chop... etc... these are just examples.

What if all attacks can be blocked? Lets go back to saber fighting on v 1.02... what if you knew you can block a DFA? Yeah ppl would use it... but if its blocked, you had a good chance of dying too. Lets look at backstab now... what if it could be blocked? At times the attack can work or not. Anybody caught in a backstab and is blocking, would have a good chance to dispatch the foe.

I think block should work on the following manner:

1. You must be facing your opponent.

2. Of course hold the block button.

3. Must be either standing or crouching.

4. Regardless of the move, it should be blockable.

Next time a saber spammer is strafing... a well placed hit will certainly hurt. Since they HAVE to block and its not AUTOMATICALLY blocked for you.

Saber fights would be interesting.

There will always be spammers and exploiters... Like ME! I fully admit to it. I was backstab spamming in v1.02... I find the turn of events and discussions on how useful it got very amusing. I spam a new move now. MUAHAHAHHAHAH If Raven is going to put it out there... I will find loop holes and use it to my advantage.

As a cheap/unskilled/spamming/exploiter... This is the only way you are going to make me stop using such an obvious and useful move... (and make me start learning some skillzzzzz) If you put some doubt in my mind if its going to work or not... placing fair amount of risk.

For all the previous posts... for the ppl against it... please give me a good reason why not?

I said my peace...

I don't believe a block key is the best way to go, though I see the lure of it. More conscious control of your character would create more tactical options. Successfully executing tactical options is what we perceive as skill and would separate the headless chickens from the truly experienced.

What I would prefer instead is not a block key, but a "parry" key. When the parry key is pressed, my blocking chances are reduced. If the parry fails, I take the hit (or a portion of it). If it is successful, then my opponents blade is deflected and creates an opening I can utilize. The choice is mine, the risk is mine, and the potiential reward is mine.

Currently blades are parried, but it happens at times I am not completely expecting because its initiation was not under my control. Utilizing an opening would be easier if I could consciously instigate the parry with a parry key.

seriously how many times have you seen someone throw thier saber in the movies ????

i hate that argument. how many times did you see x-wings fire proton torpedos in the movies? twice, in the death star trench run. how many times to people use missle and torpedos in the X-Wing game series? all the time. no one complained about that. just because no one in the movies chose to throw their saber doesnt mean they couldn't do it, just that they did want to...

That seems to be an idea right there..

Why not make it so that if someone sabre throws it is possible to knock their sabre to the ground making them defenseless for a bit? Works in single player.

Also a move or combination of moves to get your opponent jedi's sword out of his hands.. Incorporating this will allow more variety to fights.

Just an idea.

These things that needs to be changed if a block button is to be of any real use (imo ofcourse):

- Walking backwards/sideways has to be considerable slower than walking forwards

- Saber attacks must be slower *cough*blue style*cough*

- Damage must be higher, otherwise people wont bother to block, but rather just attack back.

God, how many fingers do you think I have? Playing this game well already requires you to have half of your keyboard bound to different commands. The last thing i want is another key that requires you to hold it down. Trying to move while using lightning or drain, or holding down the walk or crouch keys are bad enough.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

God, how many fingers do you think I have? Playing this game well already requires you to have half of your keyboard bound to different commands. The last thing i want is another key that requires you to hold it down. Trying to move while using lightning or drain, or holding down the walk or crouch keys are bad enough.

Every day, there are new advances in genetic engineering... Perhaps that would help.

Archived