Home

INCREASE Saber Damage please

grandmasterlee

Yes that's right, I'm tired of 5 minute 1 on 1 duels in maps with health and shields. With the incresed blocking and reduction in damage in the beginning/end of swings we need the damage increased a bit.

It's now harder to hit people, so naturally the damage should be ramped up a bit. This is a light saber and not a whiffle ball bat right?

hmm a post with a patch idea but it's not a flame/whine. this is the only kind i will respond to.

I agree that SOME moves need the damage bumped up a bit.

the reg. swings are kinda weak now... the back+attack moves(all 3 stances) seem fine right now , and do not need more damage.

i can see where your comin from... but people love to saber fight because they see it in the movies...

did the battle between luke and darth last 10 seconds? not really. and since you cant really have true saber fighting in this game with everyone running around and jumpin in circles and using cheap force moves.. allowing for a longer fight is what they want i guess.

1.02 required skill? :p

It stands to reason that it the saber killed on one hit or touch them a simple random event during a fight would render the "skilled" dead by a newbie.

As for people whining about the patch, I love it! It is funny actually, sort of like going to the mall on Saturday night to watch the freak show! :p :p

Not unlike people whining over campers. "Mommy!! my pu??y hurts, make the terrible 1.03 patch go away... MOMMY!!!"

First off, let me say I prefer 1.03 to 1.02, especially for duelling which is mostly what I do. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved. Now, let's be constructive here.

What's better about 1.03, apart from bug fixes and DFA dix, is cheifly the increased blocking. Yes, the increased blocking is better. If you charge someone head-on and start swinging wildly, and they patiently concentrate on simply defending and facing you, they SHOULD be able to block darn near everything you throw at them with the exeption of a few penetrating moves. The penetrating moves have penalties of their own (leave you open to counterattack) and so are balanced.

At the same time, what needs fixing from version 1.03 is....there's too much blocking :) The patch moved it in the right direction but overshot the optimal skill/fun point (and it's ALL about fun, make no mistake.) What I see on the public duel servers now is basically that the standard saber swings are almost ignored by the top duelists. The penetrating moves (unblockable or at least partly so) are used almost exclusively: blue lunge, backstab for all 3 stances, DFA, kick. In a duel it just isn't fruitful to land 1 out of every 5 saber blows, Because you're dead when the other guy lands 5 out of 5 kicks or 1 backstab.

Now, by no means am I suggesting a return to 1.02 blocking. That made it far too easy to win by just swinging wildly. THe answer I think is to make the blocking just as effective as in 1.03, but more difficult for the defender to use effectively. One way to implement this would be to decrease the blocking arc. Right now it looks like blocking is effective in the entire from 180 degrees. If this was 90 degrees (or even less!), a defender would really have to focus on turning towards the incoming saber swing in order to block it. At 60 degrees you could be looking right at someone, but a left to roght or right to left swing might still hit you if you didn't turn towards it. In this system, a skilled defender can still block dasrn near everything, but they have to be SKILLED to do so.

I also think the original damage levels for saber worked quit well: 30/60/100 for light/medium/heavy. With a 60-90 degree blocking arc and the old 30/60/100 damage, you could still have long fights between 2 skilled saberists who took pains not to be hit. The regular swings would be useful again, the special moves wouldn't need to be changed, and yet a skilled player could bring down a lesser player relatively quickly with the various attacks.

I believe these changes would bring balance to the force.

Archived