Home

How can I stop the Lag and actually play the game?

ulysses

Hey, I got the game and patched to 1.03 and tried to play MP, but I can't get more than two feet without being lagged up the jacksie.

I get the 'connection interrupted' thing over and over, move two steps, lagged for 20 seconds, move 2 steps, lagged etc etc

I've tried different rate settings but they don't seem to make any real difference

I turned off all fancy options, made sure I had simple items and bad graphics etc but STILL connection interrupted.

I am on a modem, 56k. I've tried a couple of servers and get the same connection problems. Most of the servers I've tried have been either Barrysworld or Jolt severs. I live in the UK and these servers are in the country so it's not like I'm trying unrealistic locations.

Can anyone help please?

There are many applications to help modem users optimize their connections.

With these programs, you can tweak the following:

MTU, (Maximum Transmission Unit). By default windows uses a MTU of 1500. This is aimed at LAN connections, and so is not optimized for the Internet.

RWIN, (Receive Window Size) Basically RWIN is the overall speed of data transfer. This is the reason why it should be a multiple of the packet size (MTU) minus the header information.

TTL, (Time To Live), is the number of routers that a packet of data will pass before giving up.

Do a search at google to find some tip sites or utilities that will help. I have to say though: broadband is your friend! If you are out of range, or do not wish to shell out the cash for it, there are some options to help reduce your lag.

thanks for the replies, i've largely tweaked my system so, connection speaking, i should be at my maximum

are there any commands in game that help?

i've limited the fps to 30 and that helped a bit [was at default 95]

Originally posted by jmcdavel

Please don't play on a duel server with above 100 ping, I beg of ya! Nothing is more frustrating than trying to fight a guy warping around backstabbing across the room.

So you are saying that 100ms+ isn't good enough? Seems like no 56k people are welcome. I have cable and rarely manage to get below 80.

up to 200 ms is playable and the ping time if consistent isn't the main cause of warping. Packet loss is.

I used to playe XwA with a modem and 500 ms ping and guess what, it worked reasonable well. seems to me people are getting spoilt these days when they start whining and saying that 100ms isn't good enough.

Archived