Home

nother question bout UVmapping

Madjai

ok, i read this tutorial http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/pixelated/three.shtml

it explains a way of selecting faces, then use the UVmap modifier, then unwrapping the map and setting the selected faces off to the side. This i can do, no problem. However, after he does the selected faces he goes back to edit mesh and selects the rest of the model's faces and UVmaps them, and then puts the two together.

When i try to go back into edit mesh it just gives me an error saying that if i mess around with the mesh it could screw up my uvmap. I ignored it and continued, i selected the rest of my model and tried to UVmap it, but it just wouldnt work. I can do them separetely but not together like in the tutorial.

Is this just an outdated tutorial that only works with previous versions of Max or am i doing something wrong here?

It sounds to me like you trying to use the editmesh you had applied earlier in the stack, u need to apply another editmesh to the stack - or mesh select (which is a safer option since you can actually move anyhting on your model when you are using this).

thats right it wont show the earlier - not until u select the whole model - segment - or all the faces you've already uvw mapped and then apply a UVW unwrap. You only unwrap those faces that you have selected - just like the uvwmap tool. It doesnt mean that the mapping/unwrapping you did earlier is undone - its just that it wont show those faces aswell until you select them all and apply the modifier.

hmm i think i understand now.

so, say i want to uvwmap 3 sections separetely in my 1 model.

in my stack modifiers ill have mesh select, uvwmap and uvw unwrap 3 times, 1 for each section. Then i select all the faces of the model with another mesh select and uvw unwrap them, that will give me the uvwmaps of all 3 sections?

your almost right, all you need to do is use mesh select - uvw map- then repeat until your model is done. Then apply a mesh select , select all the faces and then uvw unwrap. No need to apply one after each uvwmap. Its best if u keep looking for uvw tutorials, its a skill that you really need to master - a bad uvw map will just piss a skinner/texture artist off - or if your doing it yourself then it'll just make things more difficult for you.

Archived