Home

I wish there was an option for manual blocking.

Mikaserla

I still feal that I have very little control over whether I

am going to block an incoming saber strike or whether the

saber will hit me. It seems very random at this point.

It doesn't seem very skillful to me. If we had a manual block button then I think this would give some skill to the game ( I actually like Obiwan's xbox saber mechanics better than JKII's because at least it has force blocking which depends on timing). If someone is swinging his

saber at me and I hit the "block button" at the right time then I should definitely get a block. If I hold down on the block button and release it at the right time I should be able to get a force block that knocks the opponent back and allows me to get a more open strike. This force block should use half your force power. It would also be nice to use this block button to deflect shots back at a gunman, ala Obinwan xbox.

Don't get me wrong, JK2 is a much better game than obiwan,

but not in terms of sabering (although jk2 looks better and has many more moves).

I agree completely. I've seen something very interesting playing singleplayer against reborn. When you toss a saber at them or attack from far away, they raise their sabers into a more defensive position until you strike them. I believe the reborn have a 'manual' blocking ability which should be ported to multiplayer.

in response to a manual blocking button:

Imagine you have the manual blocking button you're asking for, and you've got it bound to some key. Here comes some attacker, and you want to block.

You press and hold your key. You're successfully blocking.

Now you want to duck under some of his swings. You press and hold the duck key. Ok, you're ducked and blocking.

Your opponent is now swinging impotently over your head, and you want to punish him with some cool combo you learned.

You start moving forward and left, but continue to hold block to keep up your defense until the very last moment. That's push-holding forward and left.

You are now push-holding 4 keys at the same time. Which buttons are you going to bind that to?

Q? E? Can't do those, you need your 3 middle fingers for directional control. F,X,C,Z? Nope, same problem. Spacebar? Where are you going to remap jump to? What about blocking in the air? Left Shift? Where are you going to move crouch?

Got a 2-button mouse? Primary and alt-fire are on those two buttons. 3-button? That might work, but ask jk2 players if they have a free button on their 3-button mice.

___

I think you get the point. Another push-and-hold key would just require digital-contortionist-like dexterity to accomplish some of the move combinations.

I've suggested a system that's based on passively aiming at your attacker, and based on how good your aiming is, you adjust the success rate of the auto-blocking. Actions like moving, jumping and using force powers would automatically lower the chances of a successful block.

Simple: Get rid of saber throw and replace it with blocking.

It doesn't require 4 keys to do what you said, Artiefex. Ducking requires one key, but who would continue to duck after they had dodged an attack? The same goes for blocking. If I was to counter an attack, I'd block or duck, stand up or release block and hit them from behind.

Sure I'm pressing 4 keys, but not all at the same time. I'm only pressing two simultaneously.

I like the aiming Idea, it sounds pretty good for normal blocking. Atleast blocking is not random and requires some skill. I still would like a key for force blocking like Obiwan. If you don't time your force block correctly then you don't get the force block (knock back) but you still use up half of you force power. If you are close on your timing of the force block then you will only initiate a saber lock. If you time it just right then you get a full force block. Also you should still be able to use force block

for blocking gun shots back at an enemy (ala Obiwan)

Lets get this done. I think it would really help the game alot.

i think they like auto blocking for a number of reasons.

one being the fact that mp doesnt allow first person view so it will be hard to see things to block them.

another for the fact that in games like team ffa where its just a mass of jedi's dueling it wouldnt matter much and most everyone except on the duel servers would just be offensive anyways.

Interestingly enough, the CPU recognizes "+block" as a command, bindable to a key. I've experimented with this, and with turning off AutoAim and AutoBlocking, to no avail. I'm wondering whether the exclusion of manual blocking was more a well-thought-out, very deliberate design decision rather than the sort of reckless omission you guys seem to be implying.

It may also be the case that this can be rectified simply by changing some of those hidden cvars. There's a WHOLE LOT of options to which we don't have access. "cvarlist" doesn't even come close to listing all the cvars in the engine.

In the console type:

g_saberAutoBlocking - Manual blocking! Set this to "1" and you

have to bind a key to "+block" to effectively block anything.

Your saber may still block stuff, but it won't do it well

and it won't auto-move to block hits... I don't think you can

attack while holding the block button.

g_saberAutoAim - I'm not sure, but I think this turns off some

of the special moves that you can do without actually trying?

Like backstabs - in the game, if there is someone behind you

and you hit the attack key, it automatically backstabs. If you

turn this off (set to "0"), you have to hold the move backwards

key plus attack to backstab. I guess it just gives you more

control by not doing some stuff for you.

That should work but I have not tried it in MP.

Actually, saberAutoBlocking set to 1 is the default, when autoblocking is on. Turn this off by setting it to 0.

I added g_saberManualBlocking set to 1 (probably useless), but the rest is correct. Bind +block to a key, and hold it down and the attack button at the same time to block. Holding down the +block button by itself doesn't do anything, i don't think. And all this is dependent on stance, of course.

But i think what people were getting at is that the CPU seems to get into a sort of defensive stance, whereby his saber is held in the "parry top" or the "parry ul" position, and you'll frequently see them running around with the saber held this way.

Archived