Home

Damage in Multiplayer

Krazikarl

OK, I'm fairly new to Jedi Knight 2, and was playing it over a LAN with a friend (so lag shouldn't factor into the stuff below). We were lightsaber dueling, and he was owning me, despite the fact that we are fairly even in terms of skill.

It seemed like I wasn't doing any damage to him, and yet I thought I was getting hits. We did a test. He stood there with his lightsaber off and stood still (we were both in medium stance throughout all of this). I walked up to him and took 5 swings, which went straight through his body. He reported that he took 10 damage. I then turned off my saber, and he hit me 7 or 8 times (we both used straight up overhand swings). The first one, which went straight through my body, did not do damage, but after that the rest of the swings took me down to 5 life.

The first thing we tried was lowering my resolution to as low as it goes. I was running at whatever one step above 800x600 is, and I should be able to handle it (I have a 1.7 Ghz P4 w/ 256 RAM and a Geforce 2), but whatever. So at 640x480 it seemed that he took a lot more damage, but once again, when he put his saber down and just let me hit him, I was doing just about nothing.

Now the interesting thing is that I had been dueling against bots earlier in the day. Once or twice when Desann would throw his lightsaber, for whatever reason he would not catch it back, and he would just run around without one. I would walk up and repeatedly hit him, and it took something like 2 minutes for me to kill him, despite repeated hits which he can not have blocked. However, I did switch to the strafe attack mode, and that appeared to do a little better, but its still took a good thirty seconds of me just wailing on him to get the kill.

Now in FFA mode things are very different. My friend who was owning me and I beat each other equally with lightsaber there, even when I was in higher resolution. Also against bots I tend to do a lot better saber v saber in FFAs than in dueling mode.

So my question is, why is this happening? I'll admit that I'm new to the game, but our tests show that something odd is happening. I'm sorry, but if you swing at somebody with the lightsaber, and it goes straight through their body, it should do some damage. Any ideas? Help is much appreciated.

One other thing; EVERY time we saber locked, I got thrown down. We were using nearly identical force setups, and both of us used similar methods to try and get out of it, yet I got thrown down every single time (maybe 30 times in a row).

Archived