Home

Before you start a mod, read this

UniKorn

Its just common sense, I used to work on a total conversion using the quake 3 engine. We wanted to use the characters from final Fantasy so we contacted Square - who actually gave us permission to use their chracters for our non profit- non commercial project.

So permission from the big companies can be gained.

However - if a game company has produced an Action game like Duke Nukem, or Aliens vs Predator, then they are gonna get pissed and get any mod closed down which is trying to emulate their game simply using another game engine.

I can kinda see my way through to both sides of the issue.

The one side of the arguement I agree with is the literal "total conversion" as to where lets say Q3 doesnt even play like Q3 anymore. JO being a prime example. The weapons in Q3 do not have a alternate fire setting, and does not use force powers. So if a groupe of private programmers took Q3 and made their own StarWars game, Lucas Arts would be upset.

But the OTHER side of this arguement is this, if companies worried as much about making good games as they did making money, they wouldnt have to concern themselves with amature total conversions. If a couple of college guys can beat the hell out of a fully staffed team of corprate programmers, then the company in question really needs to do a little self-evaluation.

So in closing I just want to say that just because I download an X-Men Total Conversion for Q3, in no way would dissuade me from buying an actual PC X-Man game.

Perhaps these companies should offer these people a job rather than a lawsuit...

Its not because the game companies feel threatened in any way by the work of the modders. The companies who own the license to the copyrighted product in question simply want to protect their investment, so they will shut down any unautherised usage of their product.

I think what Unikorn (and the article) mean to stress is that intelectual property has to be respected, no buts about it. AND not that that you must find ways around or bend or stretch, etc. the rules. Total conversions and mods in respect to the original authors work are welcome and I hope we will se a lot of them. In cases like Ut running Q3, it's clearly a lack of respect and a violation of copyright. In some cases it's less clear (but companies are actually open has the final fantasy friend showed us). So, just be carefull and everybody will be happy... at the end anyway it's your problem if you don't respect the law.

Archived