Home

Player Modelling

Jasco Smlee

I've read every thread in this forum that seemed relevant and I'm still none the wiser, so can somebody who knows please tell me....

Is it actually possible to create new multiplayer character models *and* get them into the game *without* having a copy of 3ds Max?

Ta.

Which software do you want to use instead?

maybe milkshape could do it, but the problem is how do you add weights to the bone in MS3D? (i'm not too familiar with the bones system in milkshape)

you need a software that can "skin" (im not talking about uvw mapping) the model onto the skeleton so it can be animated with the gla files from raven.

using max or softimage would be the simplest solution.

the end result must be exported to .XSI (softimage) format, the file is then converted by carcass to glm format.

Which software do you want to use instead?

One that's not so expensive! (no warez please)

So far it seems Milkshape or gmax are the only alternatives, but both these have limitations rendering both pointless exercises :(

Or are they?

A gmax JKII game pack would be nice :)

Hey Klorel,

Ufortunately you need max 4.x to use the glm exporter.

I had to upgrade to version 4.2 and it still works fine (the skin modifier is very unstable).

The only solution i can see for now is to get yourself a copy or a demo of 3D exploration, it can convert and export a bunch of formats, including .max and .xsi.

http://www.righthemisphere.com/sitemap.htm

i have not tested this method but maybe you could give it a try.

:guard:

Archived