Home

VM Batchfiles not working?

Subject452

After installing the source code, i went 2 the gamedata\code dir and ran buildvm.bat, it didn't build the qvms but gave syntax errors like "command or filename incorrect", then i ran cgame, game and ui.bat but they gave the same errors, then i took a look at the contents of the batches but that seems to be alright. although lcc.exe is in the bin dir the batch files dont seem to run it. I was wondering is it just me or have more ppl been experiencing this? Maybe someone would be kind enough to test it?

i can still remember the time idsoftware gave f*uped batches for the vm releases and now raven is doing the same? :((

I tried the placing the 1.29 batch files (the working ones) from q3 in the specific dirs and editing the paths and files and ran it but no luck.

I haven't had one problem with the batches. The only thing I can think of is you're missing the jk2mpgamex86.dll file, which the compiler builds. If you've built the .dll file, look in your Debug folder under code. If you don't have a Debug folder, then you don't have the .dll file. That's the only thing I can think of.

I have 2 jk2mpgamex86.dll files - (one in my GameData directory and another in GameData\code\Final...)

but anyway - aren't the .bat files suppost to build the qvm files directly from the source files? It shouldn't have anything to do with any .dll's should it?

Also, what's really driving me mad is that the batch files are producing output like this:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\code\game\vm>../w_saber.c

Bad command or file name

And yet I know that file exists - and the path is correct.

Is the problem that it's not using old DOS-stylie paths?

i.e. C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\CODE\GAME\VM ? Guess I might be clutching at straws a bit here...

From my understanding of the readme file, you have to compile the .dll file:

"8. Perform a Build All command and it should build a DLL for the game.

At this point you have two options. You can run the debugger, choosing 'jk2MP.exe' as the executable host which will load your DLL for debugging or you can build the VMs for distribution. When you release mods, you must build new VMs and put them in a pk3 file."

Since JK2 is the first Q3-based game that I've ever really edited, I'm new to all of this. The only thing I can tell you is that I have followed the directions to the letter and haven't had one problem.

Well - I've followed the steps in that .txt file too, to the letter as far as I can see - but mine ain't working!! For whatever reason...

Hmm - just noticed this in the output:

set cc=..\..\..\bin\Icc -DQ3_VM -S -Wf-target=bytecode -Wf-g -I..\..cgame -I..\..\game -I..\..\ui

Syntax error

That can't be good!! :rolleyes:

(Just incase it helps, this is the line copied directly from the .bat file itself...

set cc=..\..\..\bin\lcc -DQ3_VM -S -Wf-target=bytecode -Wf-g -I..\..\cgame -I..\..\game -I..\..\ui %1 )

I guess it explains all the other errors at least. The only trouble is I don't know enough about DOS crap to know what's wrong with that SET command. Anybody got any ideas?

No - hang on. The syntax error I'm talking about seems to be in the .bat file itself - not in the source code.

I've only made the one change to the actual source code described in the MakeAMod_readme.txt file (the change of rocket-speed thing...) and that compiles fine. (I've checked the compiler output in VS6 and while their's a worrying amount of warnings, there are 0 errors)

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

'98...

Thought so, I am putting together new versions of the .bat files for '98 users. Having someone get me some details on Win98 command-line applications first, though.

I'll post them up once I get the information. :)

:jawa

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

Your a star. Cheers man.

So I guess the problem is that the old devs are using 2000 / XP machines, and they haven't taken account of us poor suckers still using 9x OP's...?! :)

Yep.

ok, I used the new batch files for win98 (which I'm running) and it created a vm folder with a bunch of .asl files in that folder, but no .qvm file

when I did the build for the mod, it output the .dll to the code/final folder

so I have 3 new files in the code/final folder:

jk2mpgamex86.dll

jk2mpgamex86.exp

jk2mpgamex86.lib

I guess I'm totally clueless here, but how to do I get the .bat file to create the jk2mpgame.qvm file?

do I need to move the files into the game directory? or is there something else I'm missing?

the purple one

They are asm files, and the qvm files should be in "code\base\vm"

Nice Job! even though I don't need the new bat files.
Cheers! I rushed off and made them before I saw that you were making them too. Oh well... :)

Not that it matters much, but it would be cleaner to use the set cc= line.

Anyone know why it doesn't work in Win98? :confused:

Archived