Home

Compilers, And An Idea

Chiss Lord

Since you need a compiler and no one wants to pay several hundred bucks for one, go to download.com and search C++ compiler. I'm in web design so I have no idea but are any of these freeware things any good?

Also, my idea (which I'm not good enough to do) is here. Feel free to try and do it if you like it.

Light stance - does a lot of damage, faster, but doesn't block very well and can get through blocks easier (if anyone can do that)

Medium - leave as is

Heavy - Weaker, speed up to a little less than medium. Can block almost anything, but is easier to block. A lot more force behind it than the others, so loosing ur saber should be more likely.

Something along those lines. Play arround with it however you want. And people with some experience try the compilers.

You don't NEED a seperate compiler - you can compile the code using the batch files that come with it.

(You will probably have a problem if you use '98 though - as I've found out personally!! normal says he is kindly going to produce new batch files that should fix the '98 issues...)

So - all you need to do is open the source files in any old text editor and fire away. I would say something like TextPad should be more than enough - especially if your only just getting into it...

(TextPad can be set to display C++ code properly. i.e. Marking keywords, comments etc. in different colours, which is very handy...)

I would say having something like VS6 or some other proper development tool is only really nessesary if you start doing a lot of intense modding - in which case the various tools and the proper development UI CAN come in handy - but is still not essential...

But in the subject in general, if you are building the DLL files you would have a heck of a time with the build configuration. You might try Borland's free C++ compiler, http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20633,00.html. Although, for serious work in where you actually compile the DLL, you might want to invetigate the introductory edition to Microsoft Visual C++ 6 that floating around somewhere. Also, pick up a good C++ book, you would need it ;).

-Cmos

Archived