Home

No QVM in Doom 3?

UGG

Anyone read the Gamespy interview with John Carmack? He kinda implied that there would be no QVM in Doom 3, just DLL.

We have not yet decided exactly where we are going to break the source code for mod making, but it is certain that it is going to be a C++ DLL.

GameSpy Interview

I thought using QVM solved most of the problems with DLL, like hacking and Linux etc. What reasons could they have for not using QVM anymore? Anyone know for sure if they are dumping them? :confused:

The technology in Doom3 is SO advanced I'm sure they've thought way ahead on that issue. Also, since they haven't even released any real information about the game's inner workings yet, I think it's a bit too early to start speculation on it's potential flaws. The only thing definate about it is that it will be the best looking game ever to be released on PC, even better than Unreal2. That, for now, is good enough for me :)

QVM is just semi-compiled bytecode.

That means at run time the main exectuable has to complete the effort to actually getting it turned into a game on your system.

There's a performance hit to do that. Now I'm sure q3 is quite optimized for it's purposes but still, it's not going to be as smooth as native code.

So it's possible with d3 they want to go balls to the wall efficient and are ditching the qvm interface.

Archived