Home

cgame qvm creation

Master Choda

I'm having a problem with compiling cgame qvms... I'm able to run game.bat after i've compiled the jk2game project in Visual Studio 6, and this produces a jk2mpgame.qvm file that works great, but only for code that i've edited in the "game" directory. When I try to use cgame.bat to qvm the clientside code i've changed it doesn't seem to do much... any suggestions?

For example, i am attempting to make the disruptor not fire a line trace, the code compiles fine but i can't get a qvm out of cgame.bat. Please note that my game.bat works properly.

Yes, i know, let me see if i can rephrase this... Say I want to edit something on the server side. Then I go and change some code in the g_weapons.c file, compile to jk2mpgame.dll using Visual Studio 6, then run game.bat to convert it to jk2mpgame.qvm, stick that in my mod pk3 file and it runs with the altered code.

This is what i have done so far.

Now say that i want to edit something on the client side. I go into cg_somefilename.c and change the code, then it compiles to cgamex86.dll. I run cgame.bat to create a qvm file but it doesn't create one... what am i doing wrong? Should i be compiling my dll differently?

Creating a QVM and a DLL are 2 seperate things, u don't first have 2 create a DLL and after that a QVM, u can create a QVM straight outta the box, basicly u only make QVMs for a final release and not for debugging/testing your code, for that u use the DLLs, nothing seems wrong with the steps u have taken. Try looking under the base dir of JK2 for the qvm or try a search on *.qvm. If it's not there u must have over looked sum error.

Kay, thanks for the advice, i've now been editing the files using just notepad, and trying to compile them to qvm. It's wierd, it goes thru all the files and converts the asm's, but then it doesn't do the "pass0" and "pass1" stuff that actually makes the cgame.qvm file. game.bat does however. Also i tried the updated .bat files to no avail. Thanks for all the input sofar.

Since you changed your editor... now when edited and compiled in an IDE like Visual Studio do you get any compilation errors? The qvm creation doesn't happen if you have syntax errors. Also, if you are on Win98, did you remember to change your cgame.bat? Where does it actually stop?

Originally posted by Master Choda

Kay, thanks for the advice, i've now been editing the files using just notepad, and trying to compile them to qvm. It's wierd, it goes thru all the files and converts the asm's, but then it doesn't do the "pass0" and "pass1" stuff that actually makes the cgame.qvm file. game.bat does however. Also i tried the updated .bat files to no avail. Thanks for all the input sofar.

Archived