Home

Units as they apply to player models?

G0G0GadgetForce

OK guys, either I'm a frickin moron (probably) or there is no clear tutorial that explains distances as they relate to player model physics for JK2.

I need a tutorial that expresses the relationship of units to the player model physics such as the number of units the height of the player model is. How many units a hall or room should for a reasonable height of the ceiling. How many units can a JK2 model jump with and without force. How many units high should a duck tunnel be. I am making my first map and I don't want my player models to bang their heads on the ceiling. I also want to know what the minimum distances are to restrict players movement so they can't quite reach certain areas. I found a brief explanation that relates to quake player models, but with the force jump things have changed a bit. If I wanted to use a cylinder on its side to simulate a cave what demensions should I make it to create a cavern large enough to fit a fair size fighting area infront of a milenium falcon?

I want to create a cyclinder that is bent 90 degrees and stick them together. So one end is up and the other is down. There are two of the same bent cylinders. I flip one and stuck them together so they look like the side view of a stair. One end faces out to space, at the bottom of the vertical shaft there is the horizontal area of where the two cylinders are joined. This horizontal area ia where the fighting arena and ship is, behind the ship there is a shaft that goes straight down. I hope I havn't confused anyone.

What I need to know Is what dimension should I create the cylinder to produce a diameter that simulates a cavern large enough for the falcon and a duel arena. I would want the arena to be as large as duel_pit's arena plus enough room for the falcon. The cyclinders diameter must be large enough to fit these dimensions. How can I reliable determine the resulting diameter of a cyclinder from the brush I first create? Any suggestions? By the way, its not really a cave...... Minocks?!?!?! Thanks for your help in advance, Gadget.

Well I need things answered like... what is the maximum number of grid units that a forward long jump with Force Jump 3 will carry a player?

Very useful information when making maps... don't want the player to be able to jump anywhere you don't want him to jump to. :)

My recruiter said "Never volunteer!"

Honestly though, I am still learning the basics of GTK radiant. I have 2 map ideas that will keep me busy for 3-4 months. My biggest problem right now is how to figure out the scale of brushes as they pertain to the standard player model. I am finding it hard to create brushes with realistic scale.

Eventually I will find these values, but it sure would be nice if an experienced mapper would step forward. I've tried to look at the official maps but I can't seem to find a standard of any kind. I did see a Q3 tutorial that had a list of these figures and a graph for units of jump for distance and height. I just don't have enough experience to use the data effectively.

I will post that tutorial if by some devine intervention I can find it again in the vast sea of Q3 mapping tutorials.

BTW if I wanted to make a cavern with a horizontal cyclinder and I wanted to fit a duel fighting arena the size of the pit or carbon plus a milenium falcon model, what diameter should I go for? I suppose I could make it small and scale it up accordingly.

I am just trying to filter out some of the time consuming trial and error. I've read about 20 hours of tutorials, and I still have a hard time mapping to a realistic scale. I can't seem to find that groove so that it feels like I am drawing on a pad of paper. I know this is possible after seeing some of these custom maps. I want that level of control. How big is a damn player model? What is the dimensions of a reasonable duel fighting arena? Just some rough estimates will do to get me started.

How close is the size of the player start entity to an actual player model? That seemed like a good suggestion to eyeball it for now. I'm a perfectionist that does his homework, but I need some solid data. I'll see if I can dig up that tutorial. Thanks, Gadget.

Ok here you go:

Player height: I map using the 16x16 grid in GTK. Press 5 on your keyPAD and it will jump to that mode (normally default). Player height is 4 without having to crouch. 3 for crouch.

Player width: comes up as 2 but will only fit through 3.

Player can jump: Without force, up 3 grids.

Player can crouch: Under a gap of 3x3.

When mapping 'to scale' there isn't really one, map to what you think is working for you. Keep in mind, when corridors have roofs on them, in 3rd person view it can be very crowded if the height of that corridor is only 128 units (8 grids). I usually make these 192 units high (12 grids).

Floors for corridors are nicely sized at 256 wide - 16 grids. Any thinner and they can become cumbersome.

Step height: The player can step up one grid without having to jump. For a neater looking set of stairs, try using half a grid (press 4 on the keypad, divides it all by half).

Thats all that I know off the top of my head. Force jumping height/width I used to know, I'll do a test now as no one else seems to want to :)

Just a thought.

In the game the force information tells you that with force jump there are 3 levels.

Level one - twice the player Height

Level two - 4 times the player height

Level Three- 8 times the player height.

Could you use this as a guide?

Aaz

Archived