Home

question about countering

lf412

What is a good way to counter someone who likes to do the fast stance forward thrust upward slash if no force can be used. It probably has to be some sort of dodge out of the way and slash maneuver right?

Do you mean no force whatsoever or duel-type force (saber attack, saber defend, jump)? I'll answer for both scenarios.

If you have no force at all except for your free level 1 jump, my first recommendation would to choose Strong saber style. Use the horizontal slash or the overhead slash on the defensive. If he's being a real lamer, he'll probably just crouch and start doing the uppercut over and over. I think if you start an overhead slash and just stand there and let him move into your downstrike you'll hit him. If that isn't successful, take advantage of the fact that he has to commit to one direction when he does the uppercut. Start in front of him and try to entice him into trying the uppercut. When you see him crouch (probably going to be obvious) start a horizontal slash. Try to predict when he is going to uppercut and sidestep to one side (depending on which way your slash is going, because you want to slash him in the side/back. His uppercut takes him a good bit forward, so if you time it right you should get a nice chunk of his back for 100 hp.

If you have at least level 2 jump, this becomes a wee bit easier. Trick him into doing the uppercut and sidestep just before so he goes past you. Proceed to do a sideways kick (strafe into him and double-tap jump). This will deal 20 points of damage to him and might knock him down, setting you up for a killer blow.

Also, if he's a good bit away from you and you see him fiddling around with uppercut, stand there like you are going to wait for him. If he holds down crouch and just uppercuts his way over to you, you might be able to catch him by surprise with a Death From Above. Do a regular Strong saber hit, and right when the saber is over your head (i.e. just when you finish the windup and are about to swing) tap forward+jump+attack. It'll go right through his uppercut if he gets it off and kill him in one hit.

Also, if you hop just over his head and backstab with Fast saber style you might get a nice easy kill on him.

Good luck against the uppercut spammer!

Archived