Home

making map models (NOT player models)

mcowart

I am having a hell of a time trying to create map models to import into jkII. I am using 3dsMAX 4 and the Pop 'n' Fresh md3 exporter. When I try to open the file using the misc_model entity in radiant, I get an 'Unable to open file' error.

How do you even begin to make a model for jkII? I've looked all over, and I can't find anything having to do with non-player models. I found a supposedly compatible tag that I can use in 3dsMAX 4, but what do I do with it? Do I have to give it a special name? EVERY tutorial I have found having to do with tags deals with player models. When I export the file, I don't get any errors, but they just don't work.

Could someone knowledgeable in this area put up a tutorial that doesn't assume you know anything, and takes you step-by-step from creating a non-player model to importing it. It would be much appreciated.

Have you tried importing any map models from the game via unzipping assets0.pk3, what you need to make a model work may be in there.

I thought about that, but Pop 'n' fresh for 3ds MAX 4 doesn't import. I was looking in the forums and supposedly somebody had a script that would do it, but the site it was on is down, and I can't find it anywhere else.

I'm still having problems trying to get a map model in. I d/l'ed milkshape 3d, hoping it would answer my problems, since it comes with a md3 importer/exporter, but no luck.

I even tried importing one of the models that came with the game, and immediately re-exporting it, and I still get that stupid cannot open model error in radient! What could possibly be wrong with that model? I did absolutely nothing to it! No changes at all. Does it have to do with tags? I don't even know what to do with tags, I can't find any tutorial that mentions them except having to do with player models. Fancy collumns don't have heads or torsos! What should I call the tags? How many tags do I even need. What, even, is a tag! :)

What am I doing wrong? I can't find 1 frigging tutorial about map models (not player models! not weapon models!) anywhere on the entire frigging internet. I've looked on the forums. I've looked at polycount. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. What kind of voodoo does it require to get a model in the game? I know it can be done, because people do it.

Could somebody pretty,pretty please post a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this? Assume I know nothing about the process (which, apparently, I don't). I know it's probably something so simple that I will want to slap myself when I see it, but it will be one happy slapping guy.

Oh, and sorry about the rant. It just irritates me that I can't figure out how to do this.

Archived