Home

removing helmets -is this possible with milkshake?

Bucke

basically i want to get the boba fett model, cut off the head and put tavions on where the helmet should be

(btw i also have gmax)

can someone tell me if this is possible and how i might go about doing this

ive tried to do this in the past but the skin kept wrapping around the helmet shape

oh yeah i also intend to do a "stormtrooper luke and han" if i can manage this. .

someone please help

With milkshape, i doubt it.

If gmax has the skin modifier (never used gmax) or something that can weight the vertex to the bones, then it's possible.

First import the glm or converted file by milkshape, get rid of the head, replace with the one you want, reskin the whole thing with the new head (using of course the skeleton from the trooper or kyle).

(there's a few more steps involved but that's how i would do it in 3D Studio max)

If gmax can't export to XSI then forget about it.

well i managed to remove fetts helmet

and have isolated tavions head from the rest of her body

(in milkshake)

however they are in 2 different (MS3D) files.

anyone know how can I can take tavions head and import it into the other file so that i can put it onto fetts body?

Again, im not sure if gmax has this feature but, in 3D max theres a merge option in the file menu. I' m also gussing there's md3 support for gmax since it can modify quake 3 stuff.

So all you have to do is import the first file, save it in gmax

format, do the same with the 2nd.

close all files, open the head or body, then merge the remaining file in the scene.

:guard:

Originally posted by V!G

Milkshape has the merge feature also. Just go file/merge.

thanks.

how do you add the skeleton ?

and make it playable ? (i.e how do i export it? there isnt an option to export as a GLM gile)

That is the trick isn't it? getting the model in game. As of right now I know of no one that has gotten a player model from Milkshape to JK2. That doesn't say it can't be done it just has not been done YET. I belive you will have to wait until the XSI edport plug in is written for milkshape. It is being worked on by Mete as I type this. Once milkshape 1.6 comes out it should have the XSI export plug in making it a useable program to export to XSI then you can use Assimilate and Carcass to get the models into JK2.

For right now I guess you could try messing around with exporting your models to MD3 and try using assimilate or modviewer to make a GLM. How ever I have no idea how that would work or turn out. I am guessing it would not work at all. For now I would sit back and wait for the XSI exporter. You can always crank out a few saber models using milkshape?

OR you could use MAX and import your model and export to XSI? That is if you have MAX? Maybe someone would be nice and do it for you?

V!G

Originally posted by Demijedi

IT'S Milkshape NOT MilkShake! It is not to be confused with dairy products.

oops but a mistake easily made im sure youll agree

bigdan your getting abit ahead of yourself or ahead of me rather

In G-Max can you import/export XSI files? if you can then your ready to follow the second half of space monkeys tutorial included with the jedi Knight 2 tools (second release).

V!G

it would be so much simpler if there was a GLM exporter to go with the importer for Milkshape...

however ive heard i can save it as a md3 in milkshape and convert it in md3view to a GLM - im getting debug errors at the moment but my model might be ready soon if i can fix this

heres a quick pic for anyone that cares

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=23616

Originally posted by BacMeth

No way to get that model ingame with md3's...

you gotta export to XSI using Raven's 3dsmax plugin

and then use Raven's Assimilate and carcass tools (they come with the first editing tool kit)

VERY hard work....

oh and this should help you a bit http://www.massassi.net/takimoto/jk2_model_tutorial.htm

thanks for the link...

but im not trying to get it in(game) as an md3 though- im trying to create a GLM

now im new to modeling but if im sucessful in turning it into a GLM it will work in game right?

heres the error message im getting in md3view when i try to open the md3:

Debug error

texture"model/player/model/skin.tga" not found

any ideas anybody?

He ment there is no way to export a MD3 and use the modview to convert it to GLM. It works with sabers but not player charaters. The tool you need is the XSI exporter. Currently there is not one written for Milkshape. But as I mentioned before Mete (maker of Milkshape) is working on a XSI exporter. You may want to send him an email and ask him how it's going? The more people that ask him about it the harder he works on it. It's kind of how things work with him :)

mete@swissquake.ch

V!G

Originally posted by V!G

He ment there is no way to export a MD3 and use the modview to convert it to GLM. It works with sabers but not player charaters. The tool you need is the XSI exporter. Currently there is not one written for Milkshape. But as I mentioned before Mete (maker of Milkshape) is working on a XSI exporter. You may want to send him an email and ask him how it's going? The more people that ask him about it the harder he works on it. It's kind of how things work with him :)

mete@swissquake.ch

V!G

ok thanks for clearing that up. I will definatly send him an email.

i guess i could try making it in max in the meantime although i find it abit more complex than milkshape.

how do i import GLMs into max?

Originally posted by Bucke

ok thanks for clearing that up. I will definatly send him an email.

i guess i could try making it in max in the meantime although i find it abit more complex than milkshape.

how do i import GLMs into max?

Here is how I get GLM's into max. I use Milkshape and the GLM import plug in. Then I export as obj from milkshape. THEN in max I import .obj. You can get the obj importer for max 4 HERE.

I have not found an obj exporter for max, although I am sure their is one out there. I normaly don't have a need to go back to milkshape but if I do I export to valve smd or md3.

Also I belive in the second release of tools from raven has a GLM importer for MAX. Just drop it in your max plugin's folder :)

Once you get past the MAX learning curve youi might like it better. I find it is alot easier to keep track of model parts with the select by name tool. I would suggest checking out some of the G-MAX tutorials, that is what I used to learn the wierd and quirky interface. The g-max tutorials work pretty well becuase they work with low poly character models. But then again there are alot of Tutorials on http://www.polycount.com that deal with max.

V!G

Originally posted by V!G

Here is how I get GLM's into max. I use Milkshape and the GLM import plug in. Then I export as obj from milkshape. THEN in max I import .obj. You can get the obj importer for max 4 HERE.

I have not found an obj exporter for max, although I am sure their is one out there. I normaly don't have a need to go back to milkshape but if I do I export to valve smd or md3.

Also I belive in the second release of tools from raven has a GLM importer for MAX. Just drop it in your max plugin's folder :)

Once you get past the MAX learning curve youi might like it better. I find it is alot easier to keep track of model parts with the select by name tool. I would suggest checking out some of the G-MAX tutorials, that is what I used to learn the wierd and quirky interface. The g-max tutorials work pretty well becuase they work with low poly character models. But then again there are alot of Tutorials on http://www.polycount.com that deal with max.

V!G

thanks for all your help guys. i'll give that a try.

im gonna keep posting my progress here- progress meaning problems

Archived