Home

Can You Use.....

superdude201

u dont need lightwave, i dont think, but 3ds max is THE program to make JKII models in (i only wish i could afford it - ***sigh***). theres all sorts of tutorials for 3dsm out there, try searching in google. if ur on about using the prog, try the company website (http://www.discreet.com), but if ur on about jkii specifics get spacermonkey's tutorial (its in the official Raven tools pack V2), and just read half the stuff in this forum area.

You need at least 3d studio max 4.0 (had no problem exporting with 4.2)

You can model in lightwave and export to 3D Max but that would be pointless if you already have 3D Max.

for tutorials go to:

Polycount

(check the ressources section)

and the process for exporting the character can be found in this great tutorial:

spacemonkey kicks arse!!

:guard:

Originally posted by superdude201

can u use 3d studio max 2?

Yes and no. You can build you meshes with whatever program you like. You just have to export the file into MAX4 in order to get the model into the game.

Some people are trying to get use MilkShape to get thier models into JK2. I know it works with getting sabers in game really well. But I have not heard of anyone getting a player model into JK2 from Milkshape. HOWEVER Mete (the creator of milkshape) is working on a milkshape XSI exporter so you will be able to export root.xsi files. This should open milkshape to much more than sabers.

If you can get your hands on a copy of MAX 4 I would suggest using that but if you can't there are several altertives to getting your model into JK2. Just expect to do some leg work and trial/error if your not going to use MAX4.

V!G

Originally posted by Prophet

Does milkshape have the capabilities to weight models to the skeleton?

At this time no. But Mete is making Milkshape Version 2.0 to be compilant with the generation of game. IE max payne, JK2. He has listed off a bunch of features he wants to do and weighting joints and greater unwrapping tools will be added. He is going to build 2.0 from the ground up. From what he has talked about it sounds pretty good.

Also I hear he is trying to make a XSI exporter for version 1.6. I am not sure how that is going to work since you can't weight bones. You can assign verts to bones but you can't weight them for smooth mesh deformations.

I would not use milkshape to do any kind of animation or weighting for jedi knight2. Use tools that are better suited for that. Such as Max or Gmax. Atleast for now. IF your comfortable with making models in milkshape use it to build your meshes. Just be prepared to use other programs to get your model in game. That is the same for G-MAX and MAX.

There is another program out there characterFX that supports weighting but I am not sure they support XSI or not. It works just like max but does not have the high price tag that max does. The characterFX guys Insane Software, might be working on a XSI exporter I am not sure. But they are constantly working on improving their software also.

Archived