Home

A Cool MOD Idea, Honest!

Owen Yu

I play on the MSN Gaming Zone often, and I always see these RPG rooms. I tried them before, and saw all these people trying to be in character. They have conversations based on the character they are trying to portray. It's an okay way to play Jedi Outcast. I guess it's refreshing between kill fests.

The problem is that the regular messages appear to EVERYONE in the game. Wouldn't it be more fun if your messages could only be read by people who are near you? :) I wonder if it's possible to create a MOD that adds an extra message mode that adds some kind of radius limit to your messages. For example, you're talking with some people in a bar level. You're talking in a booth with a guy. Across the bar is another guy. Then you and you're buddy talk about ambusing the guy across the bar when he exits. Ha ha ha!

The game DOES have the TELL, TELL_ATTACKER, and TELL_TARGET message modes, but it would be cool if someone created a MOD that uses the TELL message mode, but more easily. If a radius thing couldn't be implemented, you could also make it so that the message only goes to the person that your crosshair is on.

This kind of MOD would even be cool in non-RPG games. You can send a message to a camper/sniper who doesn't know that you already know his location, right before you rocket or snipe him. Ha ha ha. It would also open-up temporary alliances, like if you want to warn someone that a guy's coming behind him.

I TOLD you it was a cool MOD idea! was I lying? What do you think? :)

Quality response? The idea IS pretty weak.

RPG purposes: when was the last time you saw more than 20 people in a JK game? It's not a widely social game.

non-RPG purposes: What's wrong with broadcasting or direct telling the camper that you're going to gank him right before the rocket hits him?

The only really interesting idea I see in your post is perhaps the concept of temporary alliances in a gameplay mode, but it's not particularly flushed out, and as far as I can tell, people don't generally really like screw-your-neighbor gameplay modes that involve sudden betrayal (check out how many lasting Jedi Master servers there are out there).

Nax

actually my m8 is working on a rpg game total conversion for mp.

the servers can run up to 3 lvls at once and can be crossed over by players. its hefty load for 56k tho :( the game is only over when sum1 kills the black knight (uses vader model atm).

the link between lvls is actually a tavern.

i know what ur thinking, it wud be easy to defeat the black knight, wrong there is a lvl up system being worked on and chars start off wid very little force points to spend but as they lvl(after so many kills) up they get new points to spend.

every time u die u lose a lvl if u die at lvl 1 then u lose ur saber and it has to be bought (cash is gained by killing) or make a new one, which takes 2 lvl ups.

the only weapons that will be in game are:

saber, bowcaster, bryar pistol, e-11 rifle, heavy repeater, trip mines.

edinflames,

That's great that you're friend is working on this MOD. It's really exciting to know that creative minds are willing to spend their time on such endeavors with only the reward of a good time playing in mind.

Your open mind is a welcome change. :)

i am not happy with the mp system too. this is why i'm working on duelffa mod. the main coder and i have already removed the only one duel at a time rule from ffa games and working on forcing the sabers holstered until a duel starts. but i fear that the other idea i'm dreaming of is to big for us. and nobody seems to like it, or nobody with c++ skills however. a chat box like in rpg games!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61141

Archived