Home

My final take on sp double blade

Dark Cloak

Okay boys and girls ;) here's what I think. The double bladed saber is hard coded to multiplayer. There is no way...I think ASk has been trying to make this clear (he's done a good job, too, but people continue to ask)...to get it to work in single player...now here's where what I think comes in...unless you decompile Single Player, stick the code in, and recompile it...which...um...would probably be...illegal...crap. Nevermind. I didn't think about that. Well, unless Raven decides to release the Single Player source...I don't think we can do it. HOWEVER...unless I've just missed it, I think Raven owes us a reason for not releasing the single player source...*pokes Chang*...if they don't plan to release it.

Personally, I think SP is a great thing, but it gets old quickly. Which is where TCs come in. I'm trying to sign up for one, and there are at least two other serious and potentially interesting TCs under way already. Having the source code would allow for MUCH nicer additions to these types of mods, and would be like owning whole new games.

The problem, of course, is that if the SP code is released, it'd be that much easier for pirates to waltz in, compile the code, and own the game without paying one thin dime. Now, if only Raven could release certain pieces of code without allowing that [i know, not easy], that would be astoundingly good. I would love to have dual sabers in SP if for nothing else than a truly wonderful TPM mission pack. To face off against Darth Maul as one truly should. One quick lame kills like with Desann, but true glorious battle. It could be done, and given the right setup, it could be one of the rare, truly challenging SP duels. It's that kind of thing that I personally aspire to... and it's one thing I truly do not expect any time soon : ( But one can dream *grins*

I think people probably get the game in iso's or other ripped ways probably ten times more than getting it in source code and compiling it. I also think LucasArts knows this, which is probably why they didn't bother putting a cd-key on the game, like Quake3 did. Just a thought.

I bought the game myself, because it was one of the few coming out recently that I actually wanted to own a hardcopy of, but I'm sure I could've gotten it from any number of ftp's, or having people upload it to me, if not now, shortly down the road.

I really see no reason for them not to release the SP source, not having it has already interfered with a mod I've just put out. I'll have to wait until they do, if they do, to complete the mod. And as stated above, I'm sure having the source would be a great help for some of the TC's that are being worked on out there.

I guess I'm done complaining.

:ben::saberb:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ZeR0SyN

I think once people start spitting out mods for the game (coop and everything else, with npc and all that jazz) that people wont even care about SP anymore.

<shrugs>

I will care because SP is better, it has the saberrealisticcombat thing with is 99% of the pleasure since it works like realistically.

Thats my main gripe with MP and I will huff and puff until I can no more out of pure frustration over it :p

Originally posted by Harukaze

The problem, of course, is that if the SP code is released, it'd be that much easier for pirates to waltz in, compile the code, and own the game without paying one thin dime. Now, if only Raven could release certain pieces of code without allowing that [i know, not easy], that would be astoundingly good.

what? why would that make it significantly easyer to pirate?

and pieces is that they already do, and have done since Quake i think.

You will notice that we dont have the entire multiplayer code.

At least not that im aware of, we cant make the exe for example.

Archived