Home

Extracting audio from movies (VHS/VCD/DVD)?

Zakk

I have some speacial hardware that i hook my vhs/dvd player into and import it into my comp... the program that imports it lets me extract the sound and the delete the video then i save it in the right format and boom! its done.... then you go on the the enhancing the sound wich once again requires special software... the total cost of all the "special" suff I have cost around $5000 so you cant just go to the store and buy the stuff... and I dont own the stuff I belongs to my Dads company... but Its his company so I can use It when I want!!

What hardware do you have ? If Your DVD-Drive is in your Computer it should be no problem. Just look the movie in a window, so you can handle your recording software. If you want to record something from your VCR you need to connect the audio output of it with the audio input of your soundcard via cable. I recommend a VCR with seperated stereo output. The cable shouldn´t cost so much. Not more than 5-10 $, i guess (don´t know the US-Prices for that kind of Stuff).

As for the Software, if you just want to record and cut, then look out for freeware audio editing software. I´m pretty sure there is a lot around to download.

I wanted some feedback before I really got into what I've got...so here goes...and then my final question.

I have a Dazzle DVC II that I can plug my vhs/camcorder/dvd/etc. into to retrieve sound and/or video from. But, it's a real pain in the you-know-what to haul all of these machines to my desk everytime I want to plug it in. Furthermore, my gf has a dvd-rom drive in her pc...but how do you record from a pc? I see options for screen captures, but how do you do video and/or sound from a pc dvd? What recording software is available to essentially "rip" it off the dvd? (that's legal)

I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but the method I've used with the most ease and success involves ripping what I need to HD using Smartripper.

Extracting the video and audio together can be complicated, because you'll get VOB files which can only be viewed with a player that supports VOB unless you want to process them in a program like DVD2AVI and then encode to your format of choice. There are various guides on how to do this, and the best source to check out is http://www.doom9.org. All of the software I'll mention here can be downloaded from this site.

Anyway, back to the question of extracting audio from a DVD. Start Smartripper with the disc in, and select "Movie" as your rip method, then click the stream processing tab and check only the audio stream you want. Make sure the video streams are deselected. Hit rip and you'll get an AC3 file, which can then be transcoded into a (much larger) WAV file or an mp3. I'd recommend HeadAC3he for this job. There is a guide on how to do just this on Doom9, so I won't go into it. Once you're done you'll have the complete audio track on your hard drive. Pick out the parts you want and save in your format of choice using a sound editing studio. I prefer CoolEdit (shareware), but you can download some good freeware programs from the selection at mpegx.com.

I hope this helps. Good luck :)

Archived