Home

Modelling without 3DSMax? Maybe...

GideonSkye

I'm trying to figure out a way to model *without* 3DStudioMax, and this might just work, but I need some help from someone *with* it...

First, when you import the root.xsi file into 3D Studio Max, is it possible to export the tags/skeleton to a .3DS file?

If so, then wouldn't it be possible for someone with 3D Studio Max to convert a root.xsi to .3DS, which could then be read by Milkshape/GMax...

And finally I don't know if this will work yet, but a program called Deep Explorer will convert many different formats into .xsi format including .MD3, .3Ds, etc....so then you could convert your file to .xsi with this program, finish the other parts of the process (assimilate, etc) and have a working model?

In order for me to try it I need to know about the first question, and need to know if someone could upload it somewhere/mail it to me.

Post any thoughts you may have here as well. I really want to find some way to do this without investing $3,495 in Max...college tends to suck ones funds away :)

Gideon

"Wants a Tetsuo Shima JKII Model"

I checked out deep explorer and it only converts 3ds files to xsi which wouldn't help you since your using gmax or milkshape. Anyway, u most probably wont find an answer in this forum. Most of the people here just visit to check out the models and beg the creators to release them as soon as possible, without giving any constructive comments. However, u might be luckier at the http://www.polycount.com forums.

The :evil2: FallenAngel_NYC :evil2:

BTW, do u seriously believe that every1 here paid $ 4000 for max?

The student version of max 4.3 is coming out soon and it will cost around $400.

Actually, you can Export to 3DS from Milkshape and export to MD3 in GMax (both of which will convert to XSI in Deep Explorer.

So basically, I'd be modelling in GMax, exporting as MD3, converting to XSI with Deep Explorer, and then compiling with assimilate/carcass...Kind of a long way of doing it, but if it works yay :) And if not, oh well, I'll just have to save up to buy 3D Studio :)

And $400 bucks you say for the learning edition? I thought I read it was $1200 for the Student Version...of course I think that might've had a few other things in with it that wouldn't be necessary...I'll have to keep an eye out for it ;) $400 I could easily scrape together in about a month or two...$1200 might take a while...~$4000....'ell no! :D

And I'll check over at Polycount too, thanks!

Gideon

"Ph43r i$ /\/\y a11y."

"Does anybody here speak l33t?"

Archived