Home

All Tutorials Wanted!!!!!!

Windu

Anyone who knows a tutorial for JK2 modeling, post the link please. :)

I need tuts that explains UVWMapping, UnwrapUVW...in good detail.

You know a tutorial...Post it

You think you know where ones at....Post it

You ran into one by accident and saved it on you Favorites 10 years ago........POST IT!!!!!

Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Post Please..............

Like I said, I need tuts that explains UVW Mapping in good detail, that is what I'm stuck on... This tut here does explain (in limited terms) how to start unwrapping the mesh. Here is the explanation...

Now, to make the net. You have to unfold your model and lay it flat across the page, so it can be easily skinned. To do this, you will have to 'break' the vertices apart. Wherever 2 lines join, there is a vertex. If more than one line join at the same vertex, it can be broken into a series of 2-line vertexes. To do this, select the vertex and click Unweld, the eight button from the left in the top part of the Edit UVW Map screen. We now have a nice 2d net for the computer to wrap around your model. You should re-weld the connected vertices together using the Weld button (2 places right of Unweld), or you may end up with problems using your model.

My problem is when I Unweld a vertex and try to move it, only that vertex moves and nothing else everything stays put.... Here is my question:

How do I (in good detail) lay out everything in 2d net??

...because I see everything from an angle, not in 2d

ok, when u Unweld the vertex, deselect it afterwards, then click on it again and move around, and the top one will move away from the rest. you can then move them all apart, and take the model apart face by face. the fact its at an angle doesnt matter, you just use ur imagination to see the 3d image then fold it out.

ie:

I

I__I

ok, when u Unweld the vertex, deselect it afterwards, then click on it again and move around, and the top one will move away from the rest. you can then move them all apart, and take the model apart face by face. the fact its at an angle doesnt matter, you just use ur imagination to see the 3d image then fold it out.

ie:

___ _

/__/I _I_I_ _

I I I to I_I_I_I_I

I__I/ I_I

i apologise for the diagram, its hard 2 draw in ascii.

does that help, or not really?

BobaFett7, that site only helps if you already know how unwrap and skin, gives no detail on the process...

Here is an example of what I want.

Say you were teaching a class on...lets say Paint Shop Pro,

and toward the end of the class you told them...."Now, save your drawing as Nimrod". I bet you someone in the class would ask, "How do you do that?".......and you would say "go to the top left of your screen select FILE, then scroll down to SAVE AS...or you can hit F12.

Do you get it, step by step....that's what I'm looking for.

I only have 2 hours a day to toy with things, I don't have all day to figure it out, like some of you.....

I don't mean to be anal, but most of the tutorials I've seen explain things on the assumption that you already know how to do it. Only one for JK2 explains things (to an extent) from a beginners standpoint here

I'm sorry that I made an incorrect assumption that you had some basic knowledge of the process. It turns out that I also am quite new to the idea of uvw unwrapping. Fortunately I spent the money to get what I consider to be an incredibly valuable resource in this field. I bought Paul Steed's book on creating characters. The title is Modeling a Character in 3DSMAX.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556228155

This book has step-by-step instructions on everything from beginning the model from a geosphere to unwrapping and mapping the model. You build the mesh in high detail and then use an optimize modifier to reduce the polygon count later. The only things that aren't discussed are actually exporting the model into a game.

Of course this resource will only be useful to you if you use 3d studio max. Otherwise I'm not really sure what to tell you. Sorry.

Archived