Home

Model = Skin?

zworqy

Question: What's the difference between a Model and a Skin?

In a way I understand that there is a difference, but I'm not sure what it is. I mean, a skin is part of a model, but a model is no use without a skin. A skin is no use without a model either. Why is it nessecary to hold them apart?

What other properties does a model have except for the appearance, the skin?

What's the difference between a SP and a MP model?

Any answers / thoughts appreciated.

You're quite correct in everything you've said. The thing is though, you're missing only one small piece to the puzzle. The model is, as you seem to know already, the base. It's the "physical" structure around which a skin is mapped. No model can be used without a skin, just as no skin can be used without a model.

Here's where the difference comes in though. You could have any number of skins all for the same model. When you call up a particular NPC, for example, it loads a skin and a model, but that does not mean the same model can't be loaded again a moment later with a different skin. Some in-game examples are the Reborn. Notice how they all look nearly identical, but their faces are different as is their "uniform"? That's because all of them use the same model, with different image files to act as the skin.

Does that answer your question?

Oh, and really there's not much a difference between SP and MP models. In fact, there's no difference; it's all in how those models are used. One of the things I'm working on right now, in fact, is how to import some of the models commonly used in MP into an SP mission.

Another way to think of it, probably said before but im too damn tired to keep my eyes open, is that-

1- Models are the actual object or character, the part that does all the action

2- Skins are just an overlaying texture on THAT model, which is why, if you have ever done any skinning work you know that a skin kind of works its way around the model.

Model = base

Skin = graphics put on models to make they purty

Archived