Home

weighting woes, help!

Madjai

im at a part in weighting where a gap forms because i segmented a part on my model. spacemonkeys tutorial says "But what we are interested for now is the ability to type in the As, effect. This is basically the weight that this bone (the one you've got selected) has on the vert. I got ‘round the gaping segments by selecting the verts around the segments and weighting them 50/50 to the two different bones they where being effected by."

i can select the verts, i just dont see any place to weight them 50/50. If he means the Abs. Effect everytime i select a vert and put the number down to .50, assuming that means 50%, and click some other vert the number goes back up to 1.

am i doing something wrong here?

oh and another question, when you select a bone, for instance rhumerus, when you move it why does it affect the bone after it, in this case rclavical? Its kind of confusing because when i want to see what a bone does to my model i have to select the one before it...

i found that weighting it 50/50 didnt work very well for my models as i still got gaping seams but i might have just been doing it wrong, what i do is usually sleect the last few verts of the upper part (ie: the hips parts of the legs near the knees, the arms right before the elbow etc etc.) and completely weight them to the bone below it. this keeps it together but can some times create ugly deformations (like extra joints that shouldnt be humanly possible) if you model with the bone setup in mind giving a few extra verts around the elbows and knees then the deformation usually doesnt looks to bad.

it depends on the model i guess but if you can get the 50/50 thing working correctly then i recommend that method because its what the pros are using :)

i woudl check out the painting weights by hand you can adjust the radius and strength of the painter. then by painting the verts in question with one bone then going back with another bone till they reach a nice yellowish color (i assume this woudl be 50% devotion the bone)

Hmm I've just been looking at a load of max scripts that play with skin weighting, what you really want is something that will read the weights for a selection of verts and that apply those weights to a different set of verts that happen to be very close to the world coords of the first set. I might give that a go.

Archived