Home

Saber hilt model - What do you think?

masterofmayhem

Hey all.

I modelled this saber hilt in Rhino3d and rendered it in 3D Studio.

http://www.geocities.com/beyond_the_star/sith_saber.txt

Just wondering what people thought?

I wanted to come up with a cool sith lightsaber design.

I think it came out rather 'sithy' looking and pretty original.

Wondering how hard it would be to get this from a .3ds or .max file to being in game?

Is it a lot of trouble getting it into milkshake and all that type of stuff? And i'm sure it is way over the allowable polycount. How do i cut it down? Will milkshake or whatever do that?

I've done quite a bit of 3d work, just never anything for games.

Maybe a good modeller/skinner out there wants to take on this project? I could give you a file or something. Maybe i could try skinning it.

My email is masterofmayhem@hotmail.com

Looking for opinions, help etc...

Thanks

I'm glad you like it.

Nah, it isn't skinned, that's just using some materials in 3d Studio.

Like i said, if i want it in game i'm going to have to learn how to bring it into Milkshake, cut down the polys, then make a skin for it and i imagine it will be a challenge to make a skin that looks a lot like refelctive chrome and reflective black metal.

It is a totally original hilt design, although i have to admit it is slightly influenced by Count Dooku's saber in relation to have a curve within the hilt shape. The curve on this saber is purely for athstetics though (just to make it look cool! hehe). The saber blade would still be straight up like most lightsabers.

Hopefully i can find someone to work with on getting this in game.

So far this hilt hasn't been put into Milkshape, hasn't been skinned or anything.

It was modeled in a program called Rhino 3d. I then meshed it and brought it into 3D Studio.

In 3D Studio i added a refelctive chrome meterial and a reflective black material to some of the other bits of it and rendered it.

I'm not sure on the poly count. Not really sure how to check it either. Before i brought it into 3D Studio i meshed it at fairly high quality so i imagine the count is pretty high.

Can i import a .3ds or .max file into milkshape? And can i cut down the ploys there?

Hmm, I dont understand why you want to put it into milkshape. 3ds max is better for modeling. You can cut everything in max. The only problem seems to be the polycount. It looks very high and it might take a while to cut the number of polys down. In addition to that, u might deform the good looking skin that u made.

BTW, would the reflection show up in game?

Maybe it is gmax i'm thinking of then.

Don't i need to bring my model into milkshape or gmax to add tags and stuff to get the saber to work in game?

And don't i use one of those programs to 'open' the model up so i can see how i'd have to skin it?

I could take down the polys considerably and simplify the model no problem. Then i could add detail back with a skin.

I'm just not sure about the mechanics of getting it skinned, tagged and in game after i get the polys down.

And do i need to add a shader or something?

How do i do that!!!!!

I reflection wouldn't show up in game. I have to make a skin that would work in JKII, and that would mean no 'shine' unless i fake it on the skin.

Archived