Home

Help with custom lightsaber model!

masterofmayhem

Hi all.

Earlier i posted a original lightsaber hilt design i modelled purely for fun and rendered in 3d Studio.

http://www.jagandhavok.com/junk/sith_saber.jpg

This is a hilt idea i came up with when i was bored and wanted to make a cool sith lightsaber. I've never done any models or anything for games before and i had no intention of doing it for this either, but then i got intruiged and had to give it a go.

So in the space of a few hours i've remodelled the saber hilt with less detail and low ploycount. I figured most of the detail can be put back with skinning.

I've got the saber hilt, minus a skin, working in JK II.

http://www.jagandhavok.com/junk/saber_ingame.jpg

As you can see, there is a bit of clipping at the bottom due to it being curved. I've got the model in game in a few hours without any previous experience with gaming mods etc, so it isn't too bad. I obviously havn't got the handle tag right or he'd be holding it further up where i wanted and there'd be no clipping. The saber blade is also very slightly off. Needs to come forward and to the left a smidge.

I was wondering if anyone was interested in trying to finish this off? I have gone through a couple tutorials and can't for the life of me work out how to get this veiwable for skinning etc. I also can't quite fix the tag position for the hand. I'll give you the model file how ever you want... 3ds, gmax, whatever.... Besides, it would be good to work with someone more experienced and get a cool final product.

If anyone is interested, give me a yell at masterofmayhem@hotmail.com

I've heard something about shaders and stuff too, which i know nothing about. I'd be happy if someone could even fix up the tags etc and get the whole thing to a point where i could edit a jpg file that is the skin.

Any takers? Or any help?

Thanks all.

nice model.

you might want to check out http://www.btinternet.com/~howe_alison/brothers/tutorial/gmax_jkii_tutorial.htm as it details fully how to skin models and get the skins ingame. if ur really stuck, im sure sum1 will help u, and if no-one does i would be willing to at some point, if i can find time (im working on one mod and modelling for another at the mo, and juggling skool wiv that!).

good luck!

Actually, that is one of the tutorials i used to get me this far, except that i had already made my model and just imported it into milkshape.

I can't work out the bit about breaking apart verticies to get a map for skinning.

I think i might just let it go.

I didn't waste HEAPS of time... hehe.

Apparently you already have the materials and everything done. Passed that its pretty easy.

(This is in milkshape)

regroup everything except the flash tag, and name it saber_w

make your control file and MD3

open the md3 with MD3Viewer

make a text file called saber.skin in the folder where ur making your saber.

type

saber_w,models/weapons2/saber/[skin's name].jpg

go to import skin from MD3view, and import that .skin file.

Now write your glm.

zip the jpg and the glm to a pk3 in the correct directory, put it in base, and run the game.

My model is not skinned yet.

That first picture is of it rendered in 3D studio using default 3d studio materials. It isn't a skin i've made.

I have the model in milkshape but i need to make the UV map. That is where i'm stuck.

I tried breaking the verticies and pulling it apart for skinning etc, but i can't figure it out.

I'm pretty sure once i have the UV Map thingy where i can paint my skin onto i could finish it off, but i can't work out how to get it to that point.

Archived