Home

WIP - Obi-Wan AOTC Lightsabre

Master Shawn

Well, I decided I better make a WIP so this thing gets a little more attention... Anyway, heres some pics from ingame.

saberpics.jpg

I know the holding is a little off, but until I get some volunteers to UVWmap and unwrap this thing I aint gonna fix it cause there would be no point..

Well,you see, theres one tiny problem, I cant do the mesh as I seem to screw up all the time, and yes, ive read man tutorials so dont go telling me where to learn how, I know how to get the mesh, i just cant pull the vertices apart without majorly screwing up the mesh :( I hope to be able to skin it after that by using a shader on it to make it shiny like metal.

Shawn dude, I'm right there with you. I'm sure I could get a full saber out if I could just get passed the UV mapping. Actually, there is a great program for unwrapping called Ultimate Unwrap 3d. It's pretty damned sweet, and makes UV unwrapping a snap but it's like $30! Anyway, you might wanna try the demo out just to see what I'm talkin about.

Originally posted by Master Shawn

I know how to get the mesh, i just cant pull the vertices apart without majorly screwing up the mesh :( I hope to be able to skin it after that by using a shader on it to make it shiny like metal.

I feel your pain, I could never get the Weld/Unweld thing to behave myself, however I've UVW mapped quite a few things now and never had to do that.

Generally I select all the faces that look like they are roughly planar and apply a planar UVW map then unwrap UVW and move and scale the submap (collapse the mesh when I've finished). If there are parts that look like a cylinder I select those faces and apply a cylinder map then UVW unwrap again, move, scale, collapse.

Seriously, UVW mapping is boring (on big models) but once you've got the hang of it it's quite straight forward.

NB a shader won't work unless the model is properly UVW mapped, any application of a texture (direct mapping or envoroment mapping ) requires a passable UVW map.

Archived