Home

MD3 and GLM and Droid deka's oh my

SilentMobius

I have a thought:

We can't model destroyer's because they are tripods and don't even remotely match the XSI bone structure we have to abide by.

Ok, lets take a different tack, we know that JKII still used MD3's for weapons and map models? The 1st person weapon is an md3 right? and some of those weapons are animated right? so the md3 animation engine should still be in there right?.

What I thinking about is an md3 destroyer droid with 4 simple animations, fold/unfold, walk, stand and fire, walk and fire. It would take some heavy modding, adding md3 objects to the animates pool but I think it may well be possible.

Thoughts?

I'll have to tell you, I know nothing about animation but I can tell you this much. Never tell anyone that they can't do something. I know that in my days of editing games I sure never thought I coulda done some of the stuff I did. Go for it Silent Mobius. I'm sure if you set your mind to it, you can do it. You may revolutionize the JKII editing industry by making the first Destroyer Droid (which I would LOVE!!! to see in the game since I like the droids).

Well, it depends on how animations are handled...if you try to add root.xsi in assimilate, the error msg seems to suggest you could get custom animations in with softimage, depending on what is added to make a .glm file...but I want to get my model in first before even bothering to look at this :)

animations are stored in the GLA file im pretty sure, and there is no way to export that i dont think yet.

silent mobius i think that was an excelent innovative idea u came up with, but i have a feealing weapons have a hardcoded poly limit o it might be pretty damn hard to make a whole model with the allocated polies for a weapon.... might be worth a try though...

anyhow the way i would do something like this is to make the model, then attach it to the bones pretty funny, like attach nothing to certain bones like arms and hands, attach the main part of model to the body, then attach the legs to jsut one part of the leg bones, like the tibia... it would take a lot of playing around with and might look really funny, but thats the way i would do it, dunno how well it would deform though, and it would move like a huminoid, like it would walk instead of roll..... but still might be cool....

give it a shot try some new things out, could work out cool :)

bu i do think if we wait a while they will give us GLA exporters...

Archived