Home

Modelling Non Character items. (Map Objects)

Derisor

This forum seems to be obsessed with PC and NPC models. I have been asking for days for info on modelling items that are not characters. Consoles, ships, lamp posts, other things that are details that make a map come alive. Does anyone have ANY information on modelling that DOESNT apply to character modelling?

Specific Info Im looking for:

Poly count budget reccomendations for decorations such as:

Small items like lamps and lights.

Larger items like consoles and desks.

Huge items like space ships and vehicles.

Mapping shader textures to non-character models. How do they get the panels on the imported console models in a map to blink? Obviously with a shader. Ok so how do they apply these shaders.

How to include variable LOD models for map items.

This information would be appreiciated. There is lots more in the SW universe to model then species.

i support you, map objects are definately cool and needed.

first off i need some clarification, when you say map objects do you mean models (.md3) or prefabs/brushes (.pfb/.map) most of the objects you decribed (desks, ships, etc) are built with brushes and talked about in the mapping forum. lights and most little detailed thing or too complex thing is usually a model map object (.md3)

the following suggestions are for the md3 variety...

polycount i woudl say go nuts, seeing as it is a static mesh i woudl assume you coudl get into the 4k+ with no real notice in performance (well thats if there isnt a lot of them) for most i would say 500-1000 though

shaders, im not too sure about these i shoudl know more about them but i dont work with as much as i should. in the mapping forum under the sticky resource thread they have lots of tuts/descriptions on shaders and shader use.

LOD, i dont think map objects have lod, since there not glm i woudlnt know how to even make them have LOD.

the main thing for md3 mapobjects is making the right .qc file. i use Milkshape and it has a nice qc generator and md3 exporter.

once in .md3 put it in right place models/map_objects/mymapobjects and load up in the radient of your choice with a misc_model. but remeber if you want it solid you have to have some nodraw brushes inside it that will determine the collision.

well i hope this helps,

-keto

Well actually, prefabs are bad for map objects because the poly counting would not be acceptible and the issues with manipulating the brushes would make the whole task not worth the effort. Most map objects, turrets, desks lamps, etc, are models.

I'm sorry if you feel that way, but the simple matter is that we don't map therefore we have little interest in .md3 map objects.

Additionally if you want polycount guidelines I suggest you extract the pk3's and look at the polycount of the objects in there because that is all the map object related info we have.

in general modeling characters is more interesting. i woudl always want to try and model a creepy alien over a desk lamp.

for reference material much more of it is centered around the charcaters and large locations (maps) not specifc tiny parts that woudl be map objects. also when some one makes a player model or saber it is in the every game and everyone sees it where as a map object would have to be in a specifc map.

the want for modeling just random objects is limited and most of the map objects are created in conjunction with making a map and usually made by the map author.

ive explained above how i think to create a map object correctly and it can be done in both gmax and milkshape so free for use (well $20 for ms).

you might also want to check out q3 map objects, while a lot of them arent very applicable to the sw universe some you might find useful. also check the prefabs aswell.

-keto

Archived