Home

Gmax DESPERATE Questions

KBell

Im making my own custom saber hilt using Gmax and i have 2 questions,

1. What are ways to cut down polycount from a saber, right now mines at 960 and i really want it lowered if possible

2. How do you make shapes that arent in the regular geometric shape catagory on G-max like to wierd shaped circle that makes up Yun's Saber emmiter.

If anyone can answer these questions it would be EXTREMELY helpful. My saber is looking pretty good but i need to some how make it even better :spin:

Anyone can reach me at Bakers8er@yahoo.com

Ok...TO make Yun Emitter you need "Two" spheres. The one sphere is going to be your emitter. So make that sphere bigger than the other one. The other sphere is going to do the boolean subtract operation. So make the sphere a little out of shape to get the desired effect.

Then do a boolean A-B. Select the emitter sphere first. If you forget to do that, just do a B-A.

As far as polycount goes, you have to start small, and with really simple shapes. The trick is, Look at the saber and what details can be left for the skinning. For example if you modeled the buttons, you don't need them. If you modeled the buttom. what kind of cylinder did you use. A "1,1,8" <---dimesions hight segemenet etc.

Well I know how I'd do it in 3ds max, you start with an primitive. FOr a lightsaber a 1 segment 5 sided cylinder is a good start the go to select faces, create, and add to it.

Have you imported the lightsabers from JKII and had a look at them? that will show you where they allocated polys

Musashi122- ok, im a real newbie at G-max, so could you tell me where the boolean button is on the screen, for example, "top left hand corner next to button X" and what does boolean do? thanks.

SilentMobious- i have imported one of the sabers for size reference and where they allocated their pollys but i still come up with a polycount of 960. will the saber still work in-game?

Thanks for the imput guys :)

How aboup posting a screenshot? that way we might be able to point out areas that are too comples.

Boolean opperations are where once solid object "cuts" into another for want of a better description (also refered to as CSG).

I just downloaded gmax, ant it looks much the same as max as far as low poly opperation goes.

Like I said, take a screenshot, upload it somewhere and post a link. We'll see what we can do.

ok.... first do you know where this "boolean"button is located on the screen or how i can activate it to manipulate the model?

and second, i really dont know how to send screenshots much less post links to them so is that allright if i just send you the model in G-Max form as reference. Or if you want you can modify it all you want. Ive been in need of a person to add a skin to it and tags for the saber blade. As long as you dont steal it and post it as your own creation as im sure you wont :)

Screenshots are best done the standart windows way.

select the window you want to grab press alt-prtscn, fire up a graphic's program and paste from the clipboard.

Surely you have some webspace somewhere you can use? most dial up accounts come with 10meg or so

Archived