Home

Male Zabrak WIP - no screenshots yet

Harukaze

Before everyone shouts bloody murder, no, there are no shots yet. A work in progress doesn't necessarily mean there ARE shots yet [although there are, they're not ready to be shown].

Now that the disclaimer's out of the way, onto the project. I'm doing a from-scratch skin for Adam Lee's Darth Maul model. So far the test skin still uses the clothing for the Darth Maul skin, the horns from the same, and the teeth from the blue version. The face is painted using only various different brushes in Photoshop. I'll admit right off the bat, it doesn't look nearly as good as any of the three skins that come with the model, but I think it looks pretty damn good when viewed in game. I'll probably be updating the face more and more as I go along.

Here're some of the plans I have for the skin, so if you have any comments or suggestions, now's the time. For one, I'm playing around with hair. I'm experimenting right now how it'll look in game, but I'm hopeful so far. I'm going to attempt for relatively long hair, if possible, even hanging over slightly onto the clothes. Which brings me to the next bit, the clothes themselves. I think a sand-brown robes-like version of the Darth Maul costume would work well. This way if the character [who is as-of-yet unnamed] is a Jedi, it'll look right. I think by the way the skin works, I should be able to give him a lighter undershirt, which also fits that idea. And, if it doesn't look bad, I'm going to turn the gloves into bare hands.

Oh yeah, and tattoos. I've done like five designs, not happy yet, but they're their own layer in photoshop so I can always ditch what I don't like. Hair will be too, so I can do a bald Zabrak too. Hell, I can even do multiple different Zabrak skins just by changing the tattoos and hair.

Here's the thing though. The horns and the teeth I think shall be forever beyond my grasp as a skinner. I mean, I cuold do them, but they'd look fairly poor. IF I can get permission to, should I keep the horns and teeth I've temporarily borrowed? Or would that be somewhat weak? Also, I don't think I could do nearly as good boot-soles as found on the Maul model; the same questions apply there.

Any other comments, questions or suggestions, feel free to fire my way. I hope to have a shot I can share by the end of the weekend, but no promises.

~ Michael

Wow, he seriously looks like a neo-Nazi when I added the hair. Maybe the clothes will make the difference. Doing to pallette-swap for some visual ideas, then head into actually making my own clothing. This'll be a first for me, so let's hope it works. Gonna look into other things to do with hair to get it to work; for now, it looks like he has hair, but cut short like a buzz cut. I don't think it's a limitation of the model, I think it's just my lack of skills ^_^

I should have enough progress by tonight to post a very preliminary shot. Maybe then someone might have a few suggestions to offer? *smiles hopefully*

Check out some of the concept sketches from SW Galaxies.

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/images/concept/32.jpg

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/images/concept/31.jpg

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/images/concept/30.jpg

So, you can see, some of the Zabrak have hair, others don't. Kinda like some humans do and some don't. Problem is, I cannot get it to look anything else except a buzz cut, and it seriously makes the character look more demonic than I'd want. Although I'm going for somewhat generic, I'm really thinking Jedi. Not Master Koth of course, but Zabrak are supposed to be nearly as prolific as humans, so surely there're many Zabrak Jedi. The one's an Iridonian Zabrak, because that's what Maul is and obviously they share vestigal horn patterns.

For now, the hair's going to go. He looks fine bald thus far. Gonna post the first screen sans-tattoos, cause I haven't been happy yet. I'm painting this sucker by hand, and so far I just have not had a smooth enough hand to properly map the tattoos the way I want them.

I started on the clothing, but went out to see MiB2. I've got a fair looking undertunic and I'm working on his jacket. Going to try to remove his gloves, so to speak, before bed, but I'm gettin' tired. The undertunic is several layers of semi-transparent browns laid over each other giving it the closest look this particular newbie could come to cloth. It looks like he's got a slightly dirty, once cream/off-white colored tunic under his robes. I'll see what it looks like in game soon.

Before I give up on hair completely, does anyone have a suggestion? If not, I'll just save the idea for a later version.

its extremly difficult to give suggestions for the hair if we dont see what you're working with. i think its time to post a screen. it wont get flamed for being crappy because it isnt done. people who flame ("dude that is worse skin ive seen in my life. go jump off a bridge.") are usually flamed for flaming. i said flame alot...flame.

Not going to model hair, no, unless I got his permission and actually learned how. Besides, I like having multiple skins for a single model, like the shear number of different female Twi'lek skins out there. Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get the wireframe reference pack for the model, so I could do a one of those?

Anyway, you're right. I'll post some screenshots of various stages. Disclaimer: the clothing is not NEARLY done. It was painted on completely without texture for now, just to see how certain things matched up. The first gloveless experiment is a failure, since part of the gloves bulk out from the sleeves. However, if I do this right, I can make those billowing cuffs, and still have arms. I've got an idea for an optical illusion that should work, but don't expect anything just yet on that.

I'll upload them within a couple hours. Going to try to do one more quick update and post links soon.

Okay, every time I got a batch of screenshots, it led to another editing session. The clothes're all still rough paint jobs, but I wanted to show you the beginning of the hair. I'll show off the face probably tomorrow along with the rough beginnings of the clothing. I got really frustrated at how some things looked, so I started Gripping several spawned Zabraks. One didn't die, but was so damaged he was bent over... showing off his head perfectly. So, finally, the first screenshot.

Zabrak with hair

About the only interesting things in this shot are the hair, the hands and the undershirt. The undershirt is the only clothing that is remotely ready. The hands you'll notice are un-gloved, and I didn't even need to play around with any tricks; the model was just that good to let me do what I wanted with minimal additional effort.

I've decided I'll be doing my own horns and mouth, unlike what I said earlier. His face is a lot scarier than I want for a Jedi, mostly because of a very wide, insane grin. I can put lips over the teeth portion of the model, narrowing the mouth to a smile instead, which would give the effect I want I think.

I think I shall also do team variations. The pants, belt and stole can denote which team the skin is on, and I can have different tattoos and hair [or lack thereof] for different characters. You can't see the pants in this shot, but they're red currently [wanted a different color so I could see exactly where certain things lined up]. The belt is obviously bluish here, and the stole's sort of maroon.

I'm having a lot of fun so far, partially because this model is so easy to skin on. I look forward to being able to show you more of the skin.

Archived