Home

"Oriental Dreams: the samuri mod for jk2"

setna

what do you think of ORIENTAL DREAMS?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of ORIENTAL DREAMS?

• excellent
    • verygood
    • good
    • average
    • stinks
    • reallystinks

OD is a mod ment to reflect combat in ancient japan in a third person view. its about the war between a rising shogun and evil ronan bent on his demise. yep thats pretty much it.....jk.it would include martial arts, weapons of the old orient, and the power of chi or the power from within. below is all i have written of it in past posts starting from newest to oldest plz read all and answer my poll i am greatly tired of typing so i shall write more later...

i am backeeeeeee. time to stay on topic cause i got a full outlook for "oriental dreams"......

i am still not sure about the special moves in that in need some help in. i know that force will be replaced with chi the martial arts thingy that the people use to be really strong and stuff. lol

WEAPONS, ARMOR, AND ITEMS....

TH-two handed

OH-one handed

TW-two weapon

ROF-rate of fire

-fast

-medium

-slow

RANGE-slow,medium,fast

TH-spear-a long pole with and arrowhead like blade bound to one end

TH-staff-a finely carved wooden stick

OH-darts-like a tiny arrow.poisoned.short range

TH-dartgun-a hallowed bamboo pole.shoots poisoned needles.range medium.rof fast

TW-sai-a weapon in likeness of a very large fork.good for disarming

TW-dagger-your basic short blade OH handle dagger.range short.rof medium

TW-ninja-to-a short sword favorite of ninja's.unguardedhandle

TH-no-dachi-the mother of all swords with a slightly curved blade reaching a massive six feet long and an unguarded handle

TH/OH-katana-the father of all swords a mildly curved blade of 5 feet placed on an unguarded handle. boasts wicked attack speed and power. yet it is extremely light and near industructable

OH-machete-yey baby!this one could be great fun.

OH-shuriken-a suprise.range short.rof fast

TH-cho-ku-no-another suprise.range medium.rof fast

TH-crossbow-your basic crossbow.range long.rof slow

TH-longbow-your basic bow.range medium.rof medium

ARMOR....

shield-used with TW or OH weapons

leather-hardened leathe creating a protective shell

chainmail-links of metal bound together.great against swords

plate-plates of solid armor

full plate-a complete suit of armor with both plate and chainmail pieces

Helm-made of plate

cap-made of chain or leather

ITEMS...

attackdog- a dog that follows you around attacking any enemys that close in on you

snake-seeks out a target and bites it with its deadly poison fangs!

molotov cocktail-fire anyone?

catapult-a stationary catapult. must be reloaded by players. will fire only manually

hot oil-used to drop on oppenents from above large damage area

pallasade wall-a length of wooden wall

each weapon would have its own unique aggressive, nuetral, and defensive stances. each stance would allow you to manipulate you weapon to maximum efficency

well i am tired of typing so i will give the rest later. continue my blabber soon.

now i as i write i am about to leave on vaction in my room are three pages worth of gameplay ideas for this mod now entitled "oriental dreams" i dont have much time to talk of them but they include a full items list, scoring system, and gametypes. when i come back i promise a full idea of the game. i am guessing no one cares much about it but maybe they will next week.gotta go

mine is more focased on ancient oriental combat. i think it'd be damn cool to see some one spinning a spear with lightning quick motions like in cthd. the focas of the mod is to represent mainly the armed combat with a few kicks and punches here and there. taunts-

1. stomping

2. repetitive blade smacking

fighting styles-

defensive

nuetral

aggressive

each style would be different and constant use of each would be needed for maximum efficency. i think i would have to also add blood as well as making sure that damage is handled like g_saberrealisticcombat 2 in sp. i hope when i come back next friday to have a clearer view on the special moves and general combat. i wont be able to answer until then but plz keep those comments and ideas coming.

Its wierd no one thought of this before but why not make a mod for jk2 kinda like crouching tiger hidden dragon. you'd have all the characters and could choose from a **** load o badass ancient chinese weaponry. you'd beable to kick and punch too and there would be levels based off the movie. it would bet mostly dueling, ffa, and team versions of both. force powers would be replaced by special moves that use chi (a way to keep the force bar) and they'd be really fancy like disarms and spining attack ended with a trip. used also beable to walk on water. wall walk and force jump could remain the same. weapons could include posin darts little push out knives in ur shoes assorted polearms and swords. you could also add a roleplaying skillz system but i am not to sure of that.tell me what u think of my idea. i cant really do anything but light scripting but i could do levels so if anyone is interested in the idea and wants to put a team together thats damn ass dandy.i'll be gone till next friday but when i come back i am sure i'll have some more fresh ideas. until then dont steal my idea without asking.

It's been thought of before, nay DREAMT of before, but never done. I would love it.

One thing: Crouching Tiger was China, as are most kung-fu and martial arts films (Once Upon a Time in China etc). Samurai films, on the other hand, are set in Japan (almost any Akira Kurosawa film).

If it comes down to a choice between the two, go for China! Well, that's my cote anyway.

JK2 would be perfect because most 'classic' style martial arts films have powers, such as flight and speed. Remember Star Wars itself is based on Eastern films (plot from Kurosawa, force powers from chinese myth).

PS: Sorry, I read your post again and the CTHD idea was for a separate mod to the samurai one. They'd both be great though.

they are the same thing lol. it combines two things people would like but yea i guess focasing on the chinese thing would be cool but i have great ideas for game types that tend to focas it towards a team play army thing or for others a kungfoo type thing with weapons. this however may prove to daunting a task sigh* i would have to choose the team play army thing but then again i like doing cool moves. i would say more focased on the crounching tiger hidden dragon thing would work best. sorry bout not posting but been busy trying to organize this clan that has been neglected by the leader but has 22 member as the most!

the chi system would be of special moves. however u would have a limited amount of this (cutting down on spammers and making people more careful) the choosing of powers would be much the same as for force. you have a certain amount of points and u divide them appropriately.

gaining access to weapons would be done by putting 1 point in a style for the certain weapon (ex. i put 1 point in the aggressive style for the katana) putting etc points into a weapon would give you certain advantages (i.e extra points put in the katana would go into getting me access two the other two styles (1 point per style) and improving in each style for the weapon going to a max of three points for each style (i.e. i put 9 points into the katana it would look like so... aggressive 3 nuetral 3 defensive 3. each weapon works differently so thusly the more weapons u invest in the more points u spend.the styles aggressive, nuetral, and defensive would work as so...

aggressive- fast weak attacks, medium attacks, and slow strong (l0l some creativity lapse here) but they would always be focasing on attacking and would leave little or no room for defense.

note*all styles would have a fast medium and slow

nuetral - this is the style that is used to pry behind the enemys defense trough careful moves rather then brute force. included attacks could disarm or displace enemys weapon and pin them to the wall or ground.

defensive-this helps when u need to act defensively it focuses on keeping your guard up and gives little or no room for attacks.

ffa-free for all. chi can be turned on or off here

tffa-teamffa.chi i guess could be used here but i aint for it

blademaster-like jedi master execept u pick up a powerful blade and get all chi powers. the master could only use the blade he picked up (a katana most likely). well the other players would have full access to all weapons (kinda like the scene where the two chicks are fighting in crouching tiger hidden dragon in the training room(near the end of the movie)

two towers- this would be a team play map where u try to capture all the points on the map and finally the other teams tower. but there is a catch randomly hidden on the map would be a gem. if this gem was brought back to the tower that team would be granted with greater power (chi powers improved weapondry etc)as long as they held it. the powers they gained would also be random. the catch for the team holding the stone is yet undecided by my team (inculded in the team is me myself and i).

assault the castle- duh! one team would have a castleand have to defend it while the other would attack (read the weapon list and all other info to fully understand this plz). each team would have a certain amount of reinforcements (cough* firearms) adn obviously the defending team would have less. the walls would be perfectly destructable.

*thats all for now of the game types i can think of lol

well i rambled on long enough. i think all these ideas are good but its way to broad based i wanna know what ideas of mine u hate and what ideas u have. i dont think its gonna be fun to make a mod no one likes and as an adversion to that i would like your input. sigh* so far a lack in intrest makes me sore in the tummy. Thats all folks for now

the polls i have gotten tell me one thing:D some will like it and some will not. but all great ideas (setna smirks to himself) are respected as great ideas by all. tell me plz which u like better a more kungfoo with weapons thing or a samuri type game. plz i like this idea and have put thought into.take some time read the stuff and give your thoughts and ideas and plz leave this thread to disscussion on the mod only.

I generally prefer Japan over China. China was much more elegant in community, but Japan was where it was at for warrior-monk brutality, and master weapon smiths like Masamune (Daishin-bo is part of the Masamune legend which I took this name from). I might be biased because I like anime so much.

Besides the point, I think this is a terrific idea. I use a Vampire Hunter D (samurai-esque, with robes, sandals and rice hat) model as well as a ninja sword lightsaber replacement because I enjoy samurai combat so very much. Predictably, I also like honour systems.

Keep it simple, and get a good team going. This mod shows promise in the very idea.

It would prbably be easier to do it with swords rather than kung-fu, since then you could just reskin the existing swords rather than having to redo the whole system.

The Chi system is a great idea, and should prbably be in JO anyway to stop move spamming.

China would give more opportunity for powers - samurai couldn't fly or hurl fire at each other. On the other hand, Japanese style would give more game styles.

How about a steal the sword game - like Capture the Flag, but more like Assault where one side defnds and one attacks.

I wish I had modding skills so I could help, but unfortunately I am incompetant. I might try my hands at maps one day, I did a few for other games.

Not a bad idea

First its called Ki in Japan and Chi in China. It is spiritual energy. If you want to know more about it then I suggest you read books written by O-Sensei.

Second the katana and no dachi both had guards. In Japanese they are called "tsuba". Also a katana in tradition had a three foot blade.

Third. "Ninja" as you call them, were samurai as well. So they used normal katanas. The straight katana you see in movies since the 80s is a product of the movies. If you want to add these assassins then I suggest you read up on the Yagyu House in japanese history. One of the only houses known to employ a "shadow clan" as they were called.

What about the Naginata as well? A spear like weapon with a katana blade on the end of it.

If you need any input ask. I study the martial arts for 20 years and have a degree in oriental history.

Kaito Fett

I bow to your superior knowledge in a historically accurate style.

My knowledge comes from films, mostly Chinese with a few Japanese, arguments about the films, and watching BBC choice programmes with Jonathan Ross.

I went to the Durham library once and saw the books they have in there for the Oriental Studies. They are HUGE. The book of the dead (on the shelf above) was tiny compared to these books.

Naginata would be cool.

Archived