Home

Ways not to nerf backstabs and lunges..

Versaden

Even though I did initially support Raven's decision to nerf some of the 360 degree free-form movement employed in backstabs and the one-hit kills through the various patches, by completely disallowing ANY movement on these, Raven has ignored some of the basic movements allowed by our bodies.

So with 1.04 coming out tonight, these are things that could hardly be implemented so soon, but maybe for a 1.05?

Allow me to explain:

Blue stance backstab: whereas before, a rotation on a 360 deg axis was allowed, why not simply reduce it to a far more realistic 20-25 degrees on either side of the saber upon execution of the swing (for a full 40-50 degree rotational axis)? If a human were to take a sword an attempt the same move, a rotation on such a small axis would be within our reach.

Even if the mid-air lunge's ability to slow the player were nerfed (which I agree with), it would be conceivable that Jedi would be capable to pull off such a move, though maybe it should be limited to one per jump, or one per jump per force level (so if one made a REALLY big jump, they could pull of two or three before hitting the ground, though still be subjected to the laws of physics). The mid-air lunge is a move I hardly ever use in battle, though to completely nix it b/c it's conceived as a bug or exploit would be to far underestimate the fighting effectiveness of Lucas' wonderful fictional warriors. But their fighting effectiveness should be kept within reasonable fictional plausibility, and not merely how fast their players can mash the button combination.

The backstabs for yellow and red I also think should have a SMALL amount of leverage when allowing some sort of axial rotation, but since the Jedi's feet are widely spread apart and planted firmly on the ground when the move is launched, it should fall only within 5-10 degree rotation on either side.

While I'm not sure yellow's jump attack move is exactly realistic, to disallow axial rotation on this one would result in a major strategic SNAFU, leaving the Jedi completely open for attack from the opponent. At least now, a failed jump attack allows for a limited degree of blocking against incoming attacks.

Though I suppose I should wait and see how this patch turns out before I go and start giving pointers about something I have no experience with as of yet. Everybody hold on tight...

V.

The Jedi Knights Templar

http://clanjkt.cjb.net

Archived