Home

Newb answers *HERE* (Gen. Mod/pk3 FAQs and README, Long post!)

armchairyoda

I know this is an unusual post, especially for a (un)renowned forum troll like myself... But after countless viewings of the same questions, often in completely un-related threads, I thought I'd throw in a little love after enjoying the fruits of the JK2 editing community for soooo long.

Plus getting the same3 newb questions here instead of posting them in random threads will free up the mod-daddy's time so they can make us more 1337 add-ons instead of providing tech support! ;) I am a greedy S.O.B., I know.

Before you move on please understand that: I am not affiliated with Raven, Lucasarts, or JK2.net in any way... Other than leeching they're bandwith for patches and mods (see above reference to "S.O.B."). Also, I do know somebody will end up trying to flame me for singling them out... Please don't, I'm really not trying to single any of the dozen dozen or so posters who constantly ask (then recieve the answers, then ask in another thread, etc...) these FEW questions. /rant

So here is a compelation of answers for the most asked

PLZHELPMEORILLDIEWITHOUTMY1337DRAGONBALLZMODELD00D!!

type of questions I see in this forum:

1 - Generally ALL 1st and 3rd party '.pk3' files are put into the JO/Gamedata/base directory.

2 - ALL '.pk3' files are just renamed '.zip' files!

If you are running any version of Windows released after 1995 (INCLUDING Windows 95), use 'WinRAR' to browse, add, or remove from them. It's just too easy using it, just select '.zip' compression when prompted and your done. You can also edit files within the '.pk3's and WinRAR will update the file for ya' (Kicks arse!).

Alternatively, WindowsXP already opens and creates '.zip' files on it's own, just double-click to open them. You'll just need to rename files from '.pk3' to '.zip' and back when you're done. A little more hassle but you won't have to install any other software if you run XP.

Mac users can use the 'Stuffit Lite' pakage freely available from http://aladdinsys.com, just drag the offending '.pk3' file over an alias or the app itself and you'll be set. I recommend using an alias so you don't go jackin' up your parents Applications folder (especially in OS X) or their DesktopDB (If you don't know... don't ask ;P).

OH! You a Linux user? You're S.O.L. here bub. I don't enjoy pain *that* much... ;D

Although KDE does have hope.

3 - The more pk3's you use the more likely your newest one won't *quite* work.

This is due to a couple of things...

First, is that pk3's load ALPHABETICALLY!!! I'll use an example here - Anyone remember the 'general gameplay' mod "Darker Mod" from Rob? LOVED IT (still use the Kyle skin and the 'animations.cfg' as my default ;)), but try to rename the original "darkmod.pk3" to "adarkmod.pk3" and then try to launch any game... Doesn't work so hot now? You see, the file that alphabetizes last, loads last. AND if they both have the same files - Darker Mod using the 'npcs.cfg' , 'animations.cfg', and Kyle/saber/brylar graphics; and the "assets" series of pk3's using.. well.. everything -, the last loaded will load in place of the first loaded.

Got it? If you're wondering what each of those files do, don't worry, I'll touch on 'em...

...RIGHT HERE!!!

So what files do I look out for, and what do they do?

1 - 'npcs.cfg'

NPC behavior, health, agility, force usage, behavior, movement speed, saber colors... AND HELPS WITH DISMEMBERMENT probabilites (without messing with the 'g_saberrealisticcombat' cvar... I think)(SP only)

This little creep lives in the JO/gamedata/base/ext_data' folder. And rules the single player game with an iron fist!

Note that it controls the NPC sabercolors in the single player game and Kyle's in the cutscenes only.

2 - 'animations.cfg'

Animation speeds for the models (ie - saber swings)... Other than that, I don't know and don't even mess with it (I'm also a lazy S.O.B.).

3 & 4 - 'weapons.dat' and 'items.dat'

Both live in the 'ext_data' directory. 'Weapons.dat' controls the weapon effect/rate/damage/ammo, while 'items.dat' controls the models for the *attainable* items in-game (force power-ups, weapons, health, etc...).

-------------------------------

Those are the most common problem files/errors that a newb will have that I've seen. I hope this helps, but is in no way intended to be a definative guide! Please feel free to add on whatever points/answers you feel I missed, but I am trying to keep this post short enough for the attention spans of DBZ fans.

Damn I hate that lame-arse, no-plot-havin', cruel-joke of modern animation... ;P

Hey, while I'm here... Anyone wanna do some "Macross Plus" models? A YF-19 would 0wn j00!!!!

ROTFOLOFLOOOOAJDOOLOEOFJ!!!

I need a drink... and a life.

Good post for the n0obs but i knew the shyt already by screwin around with the game and files........half my pk3's have a bunch of ZZZZZZZ's in front so they load 1'st, and to you n0obs thats a tip! hehe i wish i knew that b4:p

Archived