Home

Level of DETAIL

agentj64

Odd

Is there any easier meathod to this madness? I for one have MANY pointed weights (esp fingers) on my model, and only when cloning to begin optimization do i realize all the pointed weights are gone!

what insanity

is there any way around this?

Or just repainting the weights

or having no LODs at all

repainting weights nears impossibility however...

and Merging won't work

Actually nothing would work period

the instant I apply a MRM the mesh looses all painted weight integrity, forcing me to paint it anyway

Oh and one more thing, do caps need to be LODed? suppose that all your base verticies (ends of the mesh) where the caps are not moved touched, thus they could use the originals fine..do i still have to include a cap_whatever_1? if all it would be is renaming not changing the mesh or could it carry for the other LODs?

yes, you do need to make lod versions for everything you are going to have in the LOD models

ie. tags, caps, model pieces, the whole shot

i am currently working on a tutorial which will also explain this process, amongst other things, for 3d studio 4.

sithlord-ii

As far as weighting all the parts of your model in the 2nd, 3rd, and fourth LOD ... yes, you're going to have to redo all those vertices that you hand painted. That is ... if you really want to. You see, the whole purpose of making LOD's is so your system doesn't have to spend too many resources drawing details that won't be seen because the model is TOO FAR AWAY. At these distances, nobody's gonna notice if you actually weighted all your fingers to different bones, or most deformation problems for that matter. What you need to do is spend a decent amout of time on your primary LOD, but with all the secondaries ... just let 'em be! My model has all 4 LOD's, but I didn't hand paint a single vert on anything but the 1st one. Just use large enough envelopes to make sure everything is weighted and everything will be fine. Trust me. You *might* want to be a little more particular with your 2nd LOD (lod_1 that is) but beyond that ... don't even bother worrying about it. You're wasting your time. You ask if making LOD's is a waste of time? No, it is not. If you ask me, the hardest part (well, the biggest pain in the a$$ anyway) is going through your whole mesh and adding the "_1, _2, and _3" to the object names. That took me twice as long as adjusting all the delinquent vertices that had been hand painted in my high poly version. Hope this helps!

what kapnKeg said is true

however

its not just "model is too far awaY"

if you turn down the detail settings ingame, models will adjust to the lower detail LOD versions... so if you make the LOD versions very shoddy etc it will show, regardless of it being close....

Archived