Home

Is it possible to play ur own dedicated server?

Poll Cat

Hey guys, I'm puzzled. My clan, the <(MIK)> is trying to make our server that we alone can train on but to do so we need to make a dedicated server. Only problem is, is that one player gets locked out of playing since as far as I know :o , u cant play on ur own dedicated server. I have heard rumors that you can play on a ded. server but i haven' been able to confim any of them. It would aprreciated if you could help me with this problem. If you cant play on a ded server, help me to dispell the myths!

Thanks for reading~

"Help me, help you!" -Jerry Maguire

:vsd: -my other car is a imperial star destroyer.

What do u drive?

Old and busted, or the new hotness!

Well you can play on the server that you create. But that server cannot be dedicated. When starting up the server just leave dedicated at no. But be warned if the server is not dedicated and your clansmen is playing on it it may not be as fast unless it is a "uber" machine. It takes a lot of resources to play JO and process everyone else at the same time.

But that server cannot be dedicated

Actually you can. You have to set up a server cfg file for it and then create a shortcut for it. The shortcut should point to your jk2mp.exe. In the shortcut the command line should look similar to this example

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

Once you have the server running all you have to do is open a second instance of jk2 and choose local to play on your server.(Don't choose internet) Obviously the port has to be different.

Now, this is with the normal game files, not the seperate dedicated binary. My server runs exactly like this with no problems for my clients, but you are right that it takes a good amount of power. I run a duel server with 6 clients(bandwith) on a 1 gig thunderbird, 512ram, 7200rpm harddrive, winxp pro, and dsl 1500/256. Also if your os can do it, set the thread priority to high for the server instance. It takes a little configuring, but can be done if you have a good system.

And of course I have been no help if you mean only the dedicated server binaries:p as I'm not running those at the moment(haven't had a need to). Or if your running Linux.

If the above is true, I may be wrong and I'm sorry I responded.

Archived