Home

Solution to the Herman bug

Some people may have, like me, encountered a bug whereby Herman Toothrot cannot be talked to, and simply replies 'where'. To solve the puzzle, you need to talk to Herman to get the right order of the items to use to help his memory.

I experienced the same problem, but it disappeared after I saved on the same screen as Herman, then reloaded. You may need to throw the coconut at him twice, but this seems to eliminate the bug from your saved game.

Originally posted by Evil Capitalist

Some people may have, like me, encountered a bug whereby Herman Toothrot cannot be talked to, and simply replies 'where'. To solve the puzzle, you need to talk to Herman to get the right order of the items to use to help his memory.

Actually this is not a bug, but a part of the game.

You're right, there is a bug with Herman. Sometimes when you throw all the objects in the correct order, entire dialogues from Herman (or Guybrush) will be skipped. You wind up getting what you need, but you miss the clues that Herman provides you. That happened to me the first time I played the game.

I then played from an earlier saved game, and did other stuff (which have nothing to do with Herman) in a different order, and got all of the dialogue from Herman.

However, just saving and trying again did not solve the problem in my case. There doesn't appear to be a sure-fire way of fixing the bug if it happens to you, as methods that worked for others might not work for you.

brief.gif

"I'll take 'The Rapists' for $500."

--Saturday Night Live

Archived