Home

Scripting and Coding without c++?

sonictrio

PROBLEM NO. 1

Hey, first of all, can scripting be used to change gamefiles like in assets0, 1, etc? By scripting I mean starting a notepad file and creating new lines then loading them by typing in the console exec sample.cfg etc? If not then how do you change the gamefiles?

PROBLEM NO. 2

I don't have Microsoft Visual C++ but I do have Microsoft Social Environment, is there a way to do mods without C++?

Thanks and I would really appreciate your help.

:fett:

Originally posted by sonictrio

PROBLEM NO. 1

Hey, first of all, can scripting be used to change gamefiles like in assets0, 1, etc? By scripting I mean starting a notepad file and creating new lines then loading them by typing in the console exec sample.cfg etc? If not then how do you change the gamefiles?

PROBLEM NO. 2

I don't have Microsoft Visual C++ but I do have Microsoft Social Environment, is there a way to do mods without C++?

Thanks and I would really appreciate your help.

:fett:

Prob1- I have no idea what are you trying to say... :confused:

Prob2- There are no SP code so i don't know about it but at

least for that MP code you dont need C++ or any programs...

(or hmm... wordpad or something would be nice.. heh.)

Just make your changed to those c and h files with wordpad

or something and then use those ****.bat files to compile it...

You can make mods without writing a line of code if that is what you wish. However that would limit your choices very much.

Say you want to make a new weapon for instance. If you actually want your new weapon to do different damage and act in a different way, then there is no way to do this but writing some code.

However JK2 is different from JK in a whole lot of ways. In Jk if you wanted to edit "forcejump" for instance, all you had to do was extract the file, change it, and reinsert it again....simple.

If you want to change forcejump in JK2 you have to get the SDK which consists of c-files...(NOT C++)

But you don't need Visual C++ to edit them. Everything you need is included in the SDK (including the compiler).

Then all you do is this:

1) You change the file/files

2) run a bat-file to compile your source into qvm-files

3) Place these qvm-files in a "pk3"-file and place it in the "base" directory

I'm not shure I understand how he is using the word 'scripting'

when most people say scripting in relation to JK2 they are talking about

the ICARUS stuff that sets the atributes and controls the behavior of NPCs

and moving world objects.

He seems to be talking about variables or something...

ok, sorry i might not have used the word scripting for what i was describing. where can u download SDK?? when i meant scripting i really meant coding...sorry ;~)

where are the multiplayer files? i know u can go into files like assets1 etc. etc. inside the base folder.

one more thing, for some strange reason, without mods or anything, when i play SP i have one handed red style for the saber!!

Archived