Home

Jedimod hilt problem..

K.O

For some reasom some of the hilts, maybe half, get grey textures. Like the Mace Windu hilt. Anyone know why this is happening? Most of the other ones work, but one's like mace and obi from Ep 1 don't.

No, that's not the only way. The only thing you need to fix this is a hex-editor.

Do the following steps, I describe it for a Windu-saber as an example.

You have donwloaded a) a standard saber or b) a so called mod compatible saber which isn't.

1. Put all the files from the pk3 in a folder models/weapons2/windu_saber

2. Open the saber_w.glm with your HEX editor

3. look at the first lines and find the lines

models/weapons2/saber/saber.jpg

this is the place where the texture is, but if you put the saber.jpg to this directory the default texture is overwritten, and the new texture is used for all sabers.

4. change saber.jpg in this line to a new name, but the number of letters has to be the same. In this case it's 5 letters, so windu.jpg fits perfect. save the file in hex mode when all "saber.jpg" are changed to "windu.jpg"

5. in your models/weapons2/ folder make a new folder "saber", so now you have saber and saber_windu in this directory

6. move the saber.jpg from "saber_windu" to "saber"

7. rename the saber.jpg file to the name ypu gave the texture while hex-editing the .glm, in this case windu.jpg

8. now just zip the whole models folder and it's content and rename it to "something".pk3

Now the saber should have textures ingame.

Just the guy to answer the question! :D

Only 2 things that are stopping me from doing this are..

1) It's the windu saber that came with JediMod 1.2 in that little package of sabers.

2) I don't have a HEX editor... I don't even know what it is. Could I get this somewhere?

this has nothing to do with the way the saber is packaged, it has to do with the saber not given the proper path to look for the skin jpg.

and you dont need a "hex editor" to change the paths of saber files, all you need is winzip (unless that is considered a hex editor, which i doubt)

No, winzip or pakscape are no hex editors.

A hex editor is a kind of texteditor that uses hex values.

Just repacking it won't work because the glm searches it's texture normally at "...\models\weapons\saber\saber.jpg", so just by putting the texture there every hilt would only use the last loaded texture with this name.

So we need different names for the textures, and the glm must know the new name, that's why the path inside the glm has to be edited, and this only works with a hex editor.

otherwise you have to recompile the whole glm model.

Oh, and hex means you are working in another mathematical system, hexadecimal system. so you don't count to 10 but to 16 until the next power is reached. (hope the words are correct, normally I am lucky I understand all this in my own language :) )

Alright then, this goes back to the first question. Where can I find a hex editor? You just said I could use winzip, and now you're saying I can't. Besides, I was editting the .pk3 before, not exporting then importing again. Apparantly I'm confused and have no idea what I'm doing... again. :(

I think I kinda got this figured out.. Whenever I join a server that has their jedimod.pk3 file in their base folder, this happens. But if I join a server that starts up like it's supposed to, the textures are there. This seem weird to anyone?

Oh.. And after the being able to see it finally, I just wanna say that Mace's hilt is a thing of beauty. :D

Of course you can use winzip, but just to export or import things into the pk3.

when you start editing the models you will need other proggies than winzip or pakspace, and for the things I described above you just need a hex editor.

Ultraedit (http://www.ultraedit.com/) is a good one.

Or if you want freeware try

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

The problem with joining a server is that maybe the server has a wrong or just other version of the pk3 you use.

Originally posted by Garik Loran

The problem with joining a server is that maybe the server has a wrong or just other version of the pk3 you use.

Ah.. That's most likely it too, because all the sudden Mace's hilt worked no matter how the created their server. I'll get that freeware prog too.. Just incase for later. :) Thanks for your help.

**Edit: Btw, ever since this mess started, my hilt's hud icon was Yoda's. Plus now, Luke's hilt and Yoda's hilt have messed up textures. Seems like this damn thing is making me choose between Mace and Luke. -_-;;

Archived