Home

Inverted Bevel question

Takeoffyouhoser

I have re-made my Imperial bottomless pit. I have connected the bevels together and they do not overlap. When i move back my view in GTK radiant... i notice, at the bevels seam....I see the caulk texture behind it. When I move in closer...it disappears...

Is this going to create any funky effects when i go and compile it?

What I think happens with this:

Caulk brushes are invisible. If they were not, chances are good that you would see them. When caulk brushes don't show up, one of two things happens: (1) The desired effect of the pink simply not coming through the crack, and showing the rest of the texture along the crease instead. or (2) HOM. The thing about the HOM happening in this circumstance, if it does, though, is that it happens in such TINY bits along the crease (it would not even totally fallow the crease, either, if you think about it. It would come out in little bits like the caulking does.) that it is impossible to notice. Not only for how small it is, so that even if it were all gray, it may be difficult to notice. Also, though, HOM reproduces the last texture that was in that place on your screen. Generally, that's the textures AROUND the crease, so even if you could see the HOM clearly, it would almost ALWAYS look like you want it to: the color that touches the crease.

I guess WHY it happens isn't as important as THAT it happens, though. The only thing to watch out for is that there isn't a LOT of it showing when you get far away from this crease. The only time I've had this happen to me was when I had some patch meshes suspended exactly 1 unity above where they should have been on accident. When you got far enough away from it, one could see under it, and it (I guess) because of the nature of patch meshes or light or something, it would cause a horrible sparklies problem. And since it was a cave, when I looked through night vision goggles, I could ALWAYS see boxes of yellow lines around the patch meshes (even though they weren't visible any other time).

Anyhow! I suppose that this post didn't have a real point, except to ramble! happy-day!

erm....

hoser... there's no problem. all that is is an optical illusion a la radiant. it's just something that it does when patches are fleshed against walls and you caulk behind them. if you get in really close on the grid views of your patch then you will see that they are fleshed and that nothing is coming through them.

it's just an optical illusion. that's all.

the patches for the posters in the lair do the same thing when you get far away.

slunker, erm thanks for the info but it doesn't really apply to his problem.

Archived