Home

why am i getting lousy performance with this system?

Hemi-Cuda

here are my specs:

Athlon 1ghz CPU

640mb SDRAM

Radeon 8500

WinXP Pro

i just bought the 8500 card, and put on a fresh install of WinXP when i installed it. i bought the card in hopes of getting better performance from JK2, but instead its incredibly ****ty. even when i turn video settings to their possible lowest, i get a high of 15fps. actually even when i turn video settings to their highest, i get the same result. so something is wrong

i have the latest radeon drivers, fresh xp install (which fixed a bunch of my other problems btw), so i dont know whats wrong

Maybe you have a crapload of applications running in the background.

Your system seems l33t enough, but even those beasts can be brought down by too many tasks running or too many sys resources being drained.

I don't have Winxp, but before I play I try shutting down all nonessential programs; AIM if I don't want people to find me, QTracker autocloses, and anything else my computer turns on at start up.

The only ones I should have on are "explorer" and "systray".

You should do this so all those programs don't start up when you boot your system.

Go to START > RUN >

in the run text box type MSCONFIG

A pop-up box should appear with a bunch of tabs.

Click on STARTUP

a list will appear of applications that windows preloads on startup. UNCHECK all the non-essential programs that you don't want windows to preload. Hit APPLY and REBOOT.

This makes boot time a hell of a lot faster and also free's up your RAM from the start.

As for the thread makers problem. It's possible that there's a conflict with your card and JK2 as that beast Radeon came out after JK2 did if I'm not mistaken. I just got a new system with a GeForce 4 but prior to this system my other box was...

P2 450+MMX

320 MB RAM

Voodoo 5 5500 64MB dual chip set

I had to run JK2 at medium and low settings for it to run smoothly. Now my friend had similar specs but with a Geforce 2 in where I had the Voodoo card and his ran better then mine simply because the game makers didn't support my card despite it being better than my buddies, spec wise. So it could just be the card. I dunno how much you spent on the Radeon but if you paid over 250 you should have just gotten a Geforce 4 4200 Ti or 4400Ti. If it was over 350 you should have just gotten the GF4 4600Ti. Depending on where you bought it you might be able to return it and switch it out for a GeForce card. If the problem persists I'd look into doing that.

JK2 looks beautiful on my system, although it's a year old. If I'm lonely in a small corner I can get 100 fps!

Specs:

PIII 1Ghz

256 MB SDRAM

Nvidia GeForce 2 MX (32 MB RAM)

Win ME

(I run at 800x600, graphics settings almost at max)

I never run any programs in the background.

But I do get one strange problem. If I have run some heavy progs and then starts JK2 The screen usually gets "dislocated".

(What should be top of the screen appears in the bottom, and/or what should appear on one side appears on the other. However, if I start the game anyway it runs as smooth as always, so it's probably not a memory thing)

Archived