Home

Finding numbered verts in MAX

Flamegrape

I'm working on a player model for JK2. When weighting the verts to bones, I cannot have any vert weighted to more than four bones. When I run Assimilate/Carcass, it returns error messages indicating that such-and-such mesh has verts weighted to more than four bones. It's really nice that Carcass gives me the exact vert number that is causing the problem. The trouble is that I don't know how to find those specific verts in MAX. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a plug-in I should look for?

Okay, I've been able to find some of these verts. But when I select them and check all of the bones, it's only weighted to two bones! How the frell is this possible? Carcass says that vert is weighted to 5 bones. According to MAX, it's weighted to only two bones. What the frack is going on?

Verticie numbers are inpdenet from max and carcass

so that solution is hard

the easy way? apply a "NONE" material to your object and check how many bones are overlapping on an object

usually common sense tells you they occur around fingers (if you weight fingers without modifying them YOU WILL GET this error)

and basically no where else, maybe shoulders, espicially in pelvic area as well

You know what really pisses me off? There is very useful information in this thread that would save a lot of headaches for future modellers. But will it ever be seen again? NO! Because no one can search these forums for useful information! Say bye-bye to useful info as it slips down the list of threads and becomes lost in oblivion...

:mad:

actually the way to see which vert is which, is to go into sub-object mode and start clickign on each vertice. easy if you dont have that many, very hard if you have alot. The vertice number wil show up on the right-hand toolbar when you click it - vertice number is not independent between carcass and 3d studio.

Archived