Home

Needs Team For New Mod.

ZBomber

Get it through your head that your designing a game not a mod. If Raven gets to make a Star Wars mod of of Elite Force and call it a game so do you.

1- Write a Design Document. What's a design doc? Here's a hint: go to any game site, note down ALL the information they release about a game (features, story, weapons, etc), just cut& paste and replace a bit at a time what your mod will be.

2- Know exactly what you want. Even if it's a small thing try and stick to it. If you want to play Jet Li make sure that's obvious from the start, if you want a D&D game make sure you know which campain to start with.

3- On the other hand you have to plan in a bit of flexibility. Not everyone knows what's going on in your head 24/7 and they might come up with a few good ideas that may call for a total redesign.

4- I my case I think the promo-demo helped with the Blade Mod. It kinda proves that your not just living your hobby-of-the-month. For example you've got enough out there to make you OWN crappy Attack of the Clones mod. People will then get the idea of 'what it would look like'. Maybe force-pushing droids gets old faster than you think.

5- Know what's possibe. They'll always be stuff you can't do in a game or mod. A 'wish list' helps greatly in that case so that your team would keep an eye out if anyone else has theories or sovled the puzzel, but you won't wase serious time when other work can be done.

Any one else got any poiters? There's another thread on this right?

Originally posted by Covax

Get it through your head that your designing a game not a mod. If Raven gets to make a Star Wars mod of of Elite Force and call it a game so do you.

1- Write a Design Document. What's a design doc? Here's a hint: go to any game site, note down ALL the information they release about a game (features, story, weapons, etc), just cut& paste and replace a bit at a time what your mod will be.

2- Know exactly what you want. Even if it's a small thing try and stick to it. If you want to play Jet Li make sure that's obvious from the start, if you want a D&D game make sure you know which campain to start with.

3- On the other hand you have to plan in a bit of flexibility. Not everyone knows what's going on in your head 24/7 and they might come up with a few good ideas that may call for a total redesign.

4- I my case I think the promo-demo helped with the Blade Mod. It kinda proves that your not just living your hobby-of-the-month. For example you've got enough out there to make you OWN crappy Attack of the Clones mod. People will then get the idea of 'what it would look like'. Maybe force-pushing droids gets old faster than you think.

5- Know what's possibe. They'll always be stuff you can't do in a game or mod. A 'wish list' helps greatly in that case so that your team would keep an eye out if anyone else has theories or sovled the puzzel, but you won't wase serious time when other work can be done.

Any one else got any poiters? There's another thread on this right?

hmm... thnaks.... I plan on making a site soon, so everyone will now what I plan on doing. Site will proablly be up by tommarow. :)

:cool: Yea, I mean, you need more detail than 'I want to use light&dark in MP'. That's not even a mod request, that's a feature. You need to tell people the scale of the mod (ie how may maps& models planned), who you'll need on the team (coders, mappers) and what YOU can do (model, skin etc.)

If you don't even know what to ask for then you've got to do your research, maybe even join another small mod (poor Lord Kloon there is looking kinda skinny) to get some experience and... I dunno... infamy.

I'm still kinda new at this myself.;)

Archived