Home

Jedi Report Cards

Guest Pizza the Hutt

Guest Pizza the Hutt

Having now beaten the game with half of the eight known characters, here's my opinion on Qui-Gon, Mace, Maul and Plo.

1. Qui-Gon Jinn is, for me, the most versatile character of the four. He's not the most powerful or the fastest, but he does everything well and has some unique force powers that come in very handy. His long-range force power, while not as generally useful as Mace's, works incredibly well on Coruscant, where you can shoot down probe droids that are off-screen. I'm thinking especially of the famed "sloped building sides" jumping sequence. If you stand at the edge of the roof--just before sliding down--and use the long-range power, you'll knock down those jumping hazards from the safety of terra firma. And Qui-Gon's ability to replenish his health meter should not go unnoticed. It is, for all practical purposes, the only useful defense force I've seen. Add to the mix Qui-Gon's outstanding XX combo (the so-called Maul Killer), and you have, IMO, the Jedi best equipped to beat the game. Grade: A

2. Mace Windu is sort of like a rich man's Plo Koon. His combos are, next to Plo, the slowest of the four players I've used, but he more than makes up for it with the best offensive force powers in the game. His short-range force power makes mincemeat of those situations when you find yourself surrounded and taking serious punishment. His saber throw, if executed correctly with timely use of the lock-on button, can be used to knock out at least three enemies from long-range. And the really great thing is that Mace's force bar gets used up very slowly...I couldn't believe how many times I was able to use it before filling up again. So why isn't he the best? Well, I didn't like the fact that his combos are slow. He doesn't have a quick-fire slash/stab movement like Qui-Gon or Plo. And for some reason I had more trouble jumping with Mace than with the other characters. Maybe I was taking too many chances after having beaten the game three times previously, but I could have sworn his jumping pattern was slightly different than the others'. Still, he's a fine choice for any novice player. Grade: B+

3. Maul is easily the coolest looking character in the game, even if he doesn't have his trademark double-bladed saber. But when you get past the enamoration, you quickly realize that he's a very limited character. The obvious shortcoming is his inability to increase his health and force meters. That can lead to much frustration on levels like the Ruins. For another, his combos don't have great hit ratios. And finally, I find his force powers to be rather lame. Definitely more sizzle than steak to this character. Grade: C+

4. Plo Koon was my first character, and I didn't know how bad he was until I played the game with the others listed above. Where do we start? Well, the obvious is his horrible performance record against Maul. It's a good thing JPB isn't an arcade game, or I'd be broke with the number of credits I burned trying to finish off Maul. But even without that shortcoming, he's still quite limited. His "long-range" force attack is mid-range at best, and his saber cyclone often misfires, leaving just a pretty funnel cloud and no hits on opponents. His combos are all slow, and he doesn't even have a defensive force worth anything. His one saving grace is the stim pack, which can be a life-saver if projectiles or lasers are shooting you out of the air in mid-jump. But when a stim pack is the best thing you have going for you, you know you're in trouble. Grade: C-.

[This message has been edited by Pizza the Hutt (edited May 03, 2000).]

Guest Acid_Rain327

While we're on the subject, I'll just give my brief account of the Jedi in the order I see them, in terms of all-around ability:

1.) Qui-Gon Jinn

2.) Obi-Wan Kenobi

3.) Adi Gallia

4.) Plo Koon

5.) Mace Windu

Guest porkins

i use mace windu. he's my man. has else anyone who uses mace notice he seems to get hit more than other characters in 2-player mode? i think it's because he's black and the enemies are racist.

------------------

porkins1.5.jpg

Jedi Uncouncil Fata$$, Lord of Disgusting Bodily Functions

Guest Darth Wart

Your opinions are interesting; I wish more people would simply post their opinions here like you do, without it having to be prompted by something.

I would say the most coveted Jedi skills (in order of desirability) are:

1. Qui's healing

2. Mace's saber-throw

3. Mace's short-range force thingie

4. Plo's stim pack

I thought you were further along in the game than that, though. You're gonna have a tough time with Kenobi; his special force skills aren't worth mentioning.

------------------

JPBDWART.jpg

There is a complete online JPB strategy guide available at:

http://JediPowerBattlesGuide.homestead.com/JPB.html

Archived