Home

Darth Maul's Death

Guest Jedi Kenobi

Guest Jedi Kenobi

Watch TPM. When Obi-Wan is hanging from that thing, Darth Maul is swinging at him trying to burn him with sparks or something. Clearly his lightsaber is on. Then when Obi-Wan jumps up and kills him it's off. Then, when he starts falling it's on then the safety release or whatever you want to call it turns the saber off. Why does the saber mysteriously turn off then back on?

------------------

obi-wan_kenobi.jpg

Jedi Kenobi

Jedi Knight

Guest Thermal

That sounds about right. But presumably there is some sort of lock that can be turned on to keep it ignited when the Jedi wants to throw it. Like when Vader threw it at Luke in ROTJ. (Strange though, I assume it was off when Vader retrieved it from the floor a minute later. )

Guest Acid_Rain327

The lightsabers in the original trilogy had a plainly visible "activation box", which is used in turing on and off lightsabers - as you can see, the characters had to manually activate their sabers, and turn them off ( a good scene demonstrating this, is within Emperor Palatine's throne room after Luke has struck down Vader, and severed his hand).

In Episode One, however, the activation boxes are absent. I assume there is a pressure switch, or something of the like, due to a few occurences within the film:

-Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon quickly deactivate their sabers while replacing the hilts on their belts, without the use of switches.

-Once Qui-Gon has been struck down, his saber deactivates as his grip, as well as his body, become limp.

-The same happens when Maul is cut down - I believe you can hear his saber deactivating once Obi has struck him.

On the other hand, Force-activated sabers do exist. It's user must telekenetically activate and deactivate the saber.

Personally, I believe what we saw in TPM was the implementation of pressure switches.

The advent of activation boxes and manual activation and deactivation would explain Vader's ability to toss his saber at Luke.

Archived