Home

More than "a quick port"? I think not!

Guest Darth Wart

Guest Darth Wart

According to the reviews of DC's JPB, it's "more than just a quick port over to the DC console." I'm not so sure. My evidence?

1. In the PSX version, on the second half of Coruscant, there's a few black droids hanging around that won't shoot at you and can only be destroyed -- sometimes -- by a long-range force technique. THE EXACT SAME DROIDS HAPPEN IN THE DC VERSION!

2. In the PSX version, on Level 8, right after you negotiate the series of black drawbridges and are sailing along that water channel, the screen blinks out black for about a half second. THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE IN THE DC VERSION.

3. In the PSX version, on Tatooine, just as you're nearing the top of that rampway structure that leads up to the armadillo, there's a sandman at the end of one of those paths who is easily bumped off backwards down between the levels, so to speak. There he is extremely difficult to kill. THE EXACT SAME GLITCH HAPPENS IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE IN THE DC VERSION.

4. In the PSX version, on "Ruins," when you begin to make your way down that initial slope at the very beginning, an invisible wall makes it impossible for you to retrace your steps until you've killed "pratically every droid in the area." Once you've killed a certain droid, the invisible wall disappears, and you can now retrace your steps, even though there is never any point in doing so. THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT IN THE DC VERSION. I simply cannot believe this is coincidence.

5. There's a glitch in the PSX version wherein, at the end of level III, when the firedroids first appear, if you run back left towards the fountain, and then go back to where the firedroids were, they'll be gone and there's no way of getting them back. THE EXACT SAME BUG OCCURS IN THE DC VERSION.

These and other bugs are quite, quite minor, I know; but my point is that they appear in BOTH VERSIONS! Hence I submit that JPB was simply ported over to DC -- yes, the program was simply converted -- and THEN various things were added or changed.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Get your free JPB guide at:

http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

Guest Dave Maul

And of course, it has more bugs like the audio problems listed in another topic. Boy, I'm not buying the DC version (mainly because I don't have a DC).

New Training Missions. What are they like, are they interesting at all?

Vs. Mode. What seems to be the best addition in my opinion from what I've heard about the rest.

Ki-Adi-Mundi. A waste of time. Blocking damage and boring force powers.

Basically, the best thing changed is the Vs mode and graphics. Of course I'm not the best one to judge this, but still I think they should have taken a bit more time over this version to get it right. If it is just a port from PSX to DC, they would have had a lot of time to make it better (about 6 months). Makes you wonder what actually happens at the LucasArts offices.

------------------

Banner.jpg

Archived